USMLE Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm completely new to this USMLE world. I have a lot of questions. After taking all the steps do you have to enter into a residency program to be able to work as a general physician? and how much time after you finish your medical school you can apply for the usmle? please help!!!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
USMLE Path

Yes, if you are an IMG then you have to pass USMLE Step 1, USMLE Step 2 CK, and USMLE Step 2 CS. When you pass these three you will be ECFMG certified. When you are ECFMG certified you can join accredited graduate medical education programs throughout the USA (residencies).

When you finish your residency and pass USMLE Step 3 you are eligible to work as a physician.
However, if you don't have a permanent visa status in USA it might be difficult for you to get a job after finishing your residency though it's not impossible.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do you mean after all of that i might not be able to work in USA? how come !!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Do you mean after all of that i might not be able to work in USA? how come !!
Yes, it is difficult to stay in US. Once you finish residency you may do fellowship but after that you have to leave.
It's very difficult to get a hospital sponsoring you, unless of course you have lots of money and you can start your own practice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the feedback. Who do u think is easier to get a green card a MD or a nurse?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts