Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am international medical student
When I read statistics about matching I find most data is related to PGY-1
I know it is post graduate year 1
but may you explain more?
I will graduate in summer 2012 but it takes 1-2 years for exams so if I apply for september 2014 (2 years after graduation) does this affect my chances??
Because I noticed in data that PGY2 chances are nothing compared to PGY1

another question, what is the scramble? is it included in nrmp data??

Thanx in advance

·
Registered
741 Posts
Three answers to your three questions

About PGY1 and PGY2
PGY1 means first year residency
PGY2 means second year residency, you cannot apply to it unless you had already finished PGY1 preliminary

About your graduation
two years after graduation is very good and you will be still considered a fresh graduate

About Scramble
Scramble (post match) is not included in the released NRMP data, except perhaps for the number of unfilled positions in each program, these position will go to the post match.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The scramble is also administered by the NRMP. It opens for only two days right after the match results in mid March of every year.

The requirement is that you have been an ERAS applicant during that year and you you have applied to at least one program in the main match.

As I told you, the scramble consists of "unfilled positions" from the main match. These are usually very few and thousands and thousands of applicant apply to them in a matter of few hours and it's very difficult to get a match in it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read that on ECFMG website:
Although the majority of PGY-1 positions in the United States are filled through the Match, a significant number of IMG applicants obtain positions outside of the Match. For example, while 4,698 IMGs obtained PGY-1 positions through the 2008 Match, 7,276 IMGs entered PGY-1 for the 2008-2009 academic year.

Could anybody tell me how did that happen?!What they mean with "outside of the match"?

Thanx in advance

1 - 8 of 8 Posts