USMLE Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear Friends:

My friend is an IMG with Step 1-84, CK88, fluent nice English, (CS is almost ready to go, step 3 is in preparation, hope 95-99) Master, PhD in Medical Science (from a developed country), 3 terms of PDFs in related fields, 5 famous teaching hospital observerships (3 psychiatry + 1 EM + 1 internal medicine), strong leading journal publications, major discovery in neuroscience (reported in Science Magazine online and NewScientist), 10 years' research and teaching experience in world class universities, living in North America almost 10 years, but graduated more than 15 years ago.

He would like to match Psychiatry in the US this or next year. Do you think he will have a good chance?

Does anyone like to give a fair evaluation for my friend's case? Thank you.

George

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a question before I give my evaluation.

What has he been doing for the last 10 years in NA. Was he in academic or clinical field?
Thank you for comments.

Having been doing research (psychobiology) and teaching work (Neuroscience) in the Department of Psychology at a world class university.

One year research work in Neurosurgery plus half year voluntary work for indoor patient support in the eaching hospital.

2 years long volunteer for patient support in the imaging department.

It is academic.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
He'll do it

Thank you for comments.

Having been doing research (psychobiology) and teaching work (Neuroscience) in the Department of Psychology at a world class university.

One year research work in Neurosurgery plus half year voluntary work for indoor patient support in the eaching hospital.

2 years long volunteer for patient support in the imaging department.

It is academic.
Hmmmm .... I think it's the time to switch to clinical life :)
My assessment is that this guy will definitely make into a university psych program without any doubts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Dear George
your friend has good chances but to cover his graduation date (which negatively affected some people in 2010 match), it is better to:

1-score high on step 3 (above 90 is ok, but above 95 in his case will make a difference)

2-apply very widely, ie apply to all the psychiatry programs he can, the IMG friendly lists are on my website.

3-although it is not a rule but his observerships better to be within the last 2 years (at least one of them)

Goodluck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks. Your comments have big value for my friend.

Dear George
your friend has good chances but to cover his graduation date (which negatively affected some people in 2010 match), it is better to:

1-score high on step 3 (above 90 is ok, but above 95 in his case will make a difference)

2-apply very widely, ie apply to all the psychiatry programs he can, the IMG friendly lists are on my website.

3-although it is not a rule but his observerships better to be within the last 2 years (at least one of them)

Goodluck
Many thanks. Your comments have big value.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts