USMLE Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys.
Can anyone tell me what it takes to fail the spoken English part, I mean how bad your English language should be to cause failure, and if the patient tells me what?? a couple of times during the whole exam, is that enough to fail the spoken English part?
Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Without ahhs and emmms

That's a difficult question to answer.

I think a couple of whats in the exam is not enough to fail you. Specially if it is "accent" related. SPs are trained not score you down just because of you bad accent.

I'd say if you are comfortable talking to an English speaking person without many ahhs and emmms then you are in good shape.

·
Registered
535 Posts
"WHAT"

Many applicants hear "what" few times and pass the exam, its not a major problem to hear it 3-4 times in total. However, if you were hearing it in each patient and more than once, this means you have a communication/SEP problem.

This is from the USMLE website:

"""The SEP subcomponent includes assessment of:
  • Clarity of spoken English communication within the context of the doctor-patient encounter (eg, pronunciation, word choice, and minimizing the need to repeat questions or statements)
SEP performance is assessed by the standardized patients using rating scales and is based upon the frequency of pronunciation or word choice errors that affect comprehension, and the amount of listener effort required to understand the examinee's questions and responses."""

1 - 4 of 4 Posts