USMLE Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just beginning internship. Want to start preparing for USMLE. need advice on study best study material, study tips..

·
Registered
281 Posts
These are the materials i used for my USMLE

1. Kaplan Medical Textbooks
2. High Yield Biochem
3. High Yield Immunology
4. High Yield Physiology
5. High Yield Histology
6. High Yield Embryology
7. High Yield Neuroanatomy
8. BRS Pathology
9. BRS Physiology
10. BRS Pharmacology cards
11. Lippincott Microbiology cards
12. First Aid For The Step 1 (2010)... fully annotated
13. Robbins Pathology Cards
14. First Aid General Principles Book
15. First Aid Organ Systems Book
16. Goljan Pathology

Study tips... Keep it as active as you can.. Use Qbanks like Kaplan/USMLErx/World to reinforce your own knowledge after reading from a chapter in a book... Use Flashcards to create repetition which can also help you answer some questions. Annotate your notes from the kaplan textbooks or whatever to the First Aid book or Step up book, what ever book between the two is good.

Reactions: nishaa

·
Registered
55 Posts
hi

hi nishaa, welcome to the forum.
JJtheMD has provided as much info about the books as u require.
only tip that i would give u is motivate urself and stay motivated and work hard.
getting the basics right is the only key to success in usmle. plan ur studies properly.
so, good luck. study well. god bless.

·
Registered
281 Posts
lol hahaha I will be honest, it took me 3-4 months

I previously read the kaplan medical books in medical school, and i felt that studying the subjects i had trouble with instead of just reading all the kaplan books is more important... Medical students studying for the USMLE shouldn't read all the kaplan books page to page... That just takes way 2 long. Its why people use the videos to get through the textbook unless you didn't know the subject before hand... then you should read the chapter... If you know your subject before hand, you can easily read a high yield book within a few days... at most 3 days.

But idk haha, i just listed all the materials that i have.. I guess no one really ever needs to read the First aid General Principles/Organ systems... Those books are huge! would honestly take you 3 months just to get through all of them! :happy: But i got them because if i needed a reference book when going through the first aid book 10-7 days before the exam, it was available for me to use.

But i feel that if students use the kaplan books right and not read page from page, there performance on the USMLE will increase.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts