USMLE Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Writing the Patient Note is an integral part of the CS Exam. When you finish your clinical encounter you are given a 10 minutes during which you have jot down your findings in history and physical examination as well as a list of differential diagnoses and preliminary diagnostic investigations and procedures.

Currently, and up to mid 2011, examinees are allowed two options. They can either write or type the patient note. See this thread for more info about this.

Starting mid 2011, there will be no more the option of writing the patient note. Examinees are going to be asked to type the patient note on the computer keyboard.

This could be in par with the government's recommendations of transforming the medical records into digital records completely.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thats great news.

Typing the Patient note will ensure a passing score. Alot of students dont get the score they want becasue of handwriting issues.

·
Registered
58 Posts
hey guys, is there a kind of unofficial preference for either WRITING OR TYPING the PNs?

I have very good, clear handwriting , and my typing isnt all that great. Wud I be compromising my score in any way if I choose to write my PNs?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Typing is better than writing

hey guys, is there a kind of unofficial preference for either WRITING OR TYPING the PNs?

I have very good, clear handwriting , and my typing isnt all that great. Wud I be compromising my score in any way if I choose to write my PNs?
My medical school used to instruct us that we should never write the PN in CS because they think that examiners tend to underrate written and overrate typed notes.

I am not saying that writing your notes is a big mistake am just telling you what they told us.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My medical school used to instruct us that we should never write the PN in CS because they think that examiners tend to underrate written and overrate typed notes.

I am not saying that writing your notes is a big mistake am just telling you what they told us.
aww man...now one more thing to practice...:( thanks for ur info though!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts