USMLE Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!!

I am starting on step 2 ck preparation ..
Can you please advice me on what books to pick and how much time is needed and what qbanks to do ??
:)

·
Registered
919 Posts
i read this on another thread n asked dr. elham n apparently all u need is:

kaplan lecture notes (5 subjects)
kaplan qbook (though some say not necessary)
UW q bank
kaplan q bank (though not compulsory)
NBME (not sure which forms)

n one should start with Int. med first cos it covers so much although the sequence can vary depending on individual. im starting with obgyn first because that'll be my first lab in internship.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am planning on giving the exam after 3 and half months...is that period sufficient for the preparation?????..i just did step 1 exam a week back nd waiting on the result..though i am kinda scared in a sense that i will constantly come across the questions that i had in the exam...i think it will be a bit of torcher but i just want to finish the step 2 ck as soon as possible......

·
Registered
919 Posts
i am planning on giving the exam after 3 and half months...is that period sufficient for the preparation?????..i just did step 1 exam a week back nd waiting on the result..though i am kinda scared in a sense that i will constantly come across the questions that i had in the exam...i think it will be a bit of torcher but i just want to finish the step 2 ck as soon as possible......
yes i remember u. u're the smart guy who got too high a score for step 1 nbme. :) go ahead. 3 1/2 months may seem like nothing at all for u. i on the other hand will take my time this time because 6 months of studying n 2 months of question for step1 wasnt enough for me.:eek:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yah that's the past....now time to move on ...but this waiting for the result is killing me...everytime i read something i come across bulk of questions that were in the real exam...nd start wondering if i got them right or not...want to go into total repression but the situation....but i guess everyone goes through this phase....

·
Registered
919 Posts
yah that's the past....now time to move on ...but this waiting for the result is killing me...everytime i read something i come across bulk of questions that were in the real exam...nd start wondering if i got them right or not...want to go into total repression but the situation....but i guess everyone goes through this phase....
i am going through the same thing. thats y i tot better start studying to forget it all. then i read FA step 2 ck n saw a few things they asked on my exam. 2 i know i got right but there was this one i forgot what i picked.. sigh... seriously we only think about it alot because its so recent n yet fresh in our heads. but ive learned to just 'pah' it n also im reading this book, Outliers: The story of success by Malcolm Gladwell which is inspiring. perhaps u should read a book too to get ur mind off the exam.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i am going through the same thing. thats y i tot better start studying to forget it all. then i read FA step 2 ck n saw a few things they asked on my exam. 2 i know i got right but there was this one i forgot what i picked.. sigh... seriously we only think about it alot because its so recent n yet fresh in our heads. but ive learned to just 'pah' it n also im reading this book, outliers by malcolm cladwell which is inspiring. perhaps u should read a book too to get ur mind off the exam.
thanks for the book info...may be that's what i need at the moment...thanks again...

·
Registered
472 Posts
@usmleguy: all the best for ur result

Hi,
I know what it feels like when waiting for ur scores especially when it takes 8 weeks to get them post exam cuz the med school misplaced and didn't respond to some letter sent by ecfmg. Every day seems like hell, so try to relax. Everything's gonna be fine. Even though my step-1 result was bad, i'm determined to get 99 in step-2CK and that's why i'm giving 10 months to it.

All the best to all of us for step-2CK.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Hi,
I know what it feels like when waiting for ur scores especially when it takes 8 weeks to get them post exam cuz the med school misplaced and didn't respond to some letter sent by ecfmg. Every day seems like hell, so try to relax. Everything's gonna be fine. Even though my step-1 result was bad, i'm determined to get 99 in step-2CK and that's why i'm giving 10 months to it.

dude, ull definitely get a 99. because now that u finished step 1, u know EXACTLY what else need to be done. GL!

·
Registered
919 Posts
hey thanks for sharing

@USMLEGUY and @Seetal. I have taken all my boards and I'm in second year of residency, I have written a method of studying that may help you guys. You can find it under topic "how to score 99" or click here. Good luck to you guys.
http://www.shamanspublishing.freehomepage.com/cgi-bin/blog
i read the post. wow u studied in 6 weeks??!! that seems too short. (congratulations!) i dont have any weeks off now that im starting my internship next mth for the next 1 yr n 8 mths. so i will take time everyday (6-8 hrs on weekdays n perhaps 11 hrs on weekends) to try n finish 3 readings of each kaplan lecture notes. then aft each subject the kaplan q book n NMS qbook after all the studying, then 2 months or perhaps 3 mths (depending) dedicated on doing questions only. but should i feel like im ready then ill pre-pone the exam.

one question, where do i get this usmle step 2 edge books?:confused:

err.. wait another question, sorry, what were your UW/Kaplan n NBME scores prior to the exam?:sorry:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Hi,

oh n im also giving it 10 months. :) with hopefully 3000 hrs of studying.

·
Registered
22 Posts
@Seetal USMLE Step 2 Edge is on amazon Here's the link. I don't remember exactly My NBME scores, but I improved each time, which is more important than the actual number. Remember its suppose to show you your strengths and weaknesses, so you may can target your studying. One thing I failed to mention on the blog is, if you want to feel very confident before the exam, you should retake the very first NBME you used as a diagnostic, scoring high would be a real confidence booster. Good luck.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thank you sunny for your advice ..i checked your blog too..great work man..
i have one question for you though..
do you think FIRST AID is equivalent to USMLE EDGE??
OR should i just leave first aid and stick to USMLE EDGE??
thanks in advance...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts