USMLE Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi

I am IMG and about to begin preparing for USMLE step1. I have plenty of time cause i am doing research (no clinical responsibilities). I checked library of our university and was disappointed to see only those huge textbooks which make me always very sleepy :sleepy:. So I have to try to find out review books which aren't too long or short. Now I am eager to hear some opinions about these books I am (or not) going to order from amazon.

Netter Clinical Anatomy (seems to be little long, but I liked Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy).

High Yield Embryology (our library has Langmans Embryology which I liked a lot, but could be too much considering the topic)

High Yield Neuroanatomy

Costanzo Physiology (not BRS series)

Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews Biochemistry (Rapid Review series biochemistry seems to be short, but do I really need this Lippincotts book, it has very good reviews in amazon.com)

Goljan's Rapid Review of pathology (with this and phys book I could say I am 100% certain that it is right decision)

Review of Medical Microbiology and Immunology (or is this ridiculously simple book better, well I was going to order both)

Katzung and Trevor's Pharm Examination and Board Review

And in addition I have planned to order some behavioral sciences and biostatistics books and of course FA. Do I need histology and molecular biology books as well?

Comment if you have anything to say about my choices. I've checked already those polls and I find that they were really helpful.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Nice plan

Your collection of books is fantastic and you are on the right track.

One suggestion however, Review of Medical Microbiology and Immunology by Lange is a huge book (almost 700 pages). I think this is too much for the boards you need to get a smaller book.

You don't need specific histology and molecular biology books as these two topics are covered well in Anatomy and Biochemistry books respectively.

Wishing you all the good luck with your prep.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hello there,
I have started my prep also like weeks b4, and I am going with Kaplan, except for the anatomy and physiology books which I am following BRS Physiology and BRS Gross Anatomy
I have the same books to go along with Kaplan, plus I will be revising pathology from Robbins coz I finished but don't remember much.
So I think you are good to go :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
557 Posts
So Review of Medical Microbiology should go. I was looking BRS/Immuno book instead. Looks shorter. Ridiculously Simple book has gained very good review but I am still little concerned.
CMMRS is a masterpiece, I used it for my micro class during first year and it made life so much easier. It's written in a simple, humorous way with tons of mnemonics. It also has a section on bug pharmacology, which although not a sufficient pharm resource is still wonderful. I'm not sure what your concern is, but from what I've heard the micro in this book + First aid is more than enough for Step 1.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Books have (almost all) arrived

This week I got my books and was surprised how "small" they were. I started to read Lippincotts biochem. This is wonderful book compared with the Harper's illustrated biochemistry we had in course. Of course they are for different purposes, but all in all I would recommend this biochem book for even course work and if you must review some subjects more closely so go with Harper (though Harper isn't my favorite book for that purpose either).

Now I have scheduled to read every book one time prior new year and after that I am going to make detailed schedule when I will take step 1 I make detailed schedule for preparing it.

Thanks for comments.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts