USMLE Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone!

So I am a huge follower of this forum and have been since MD1 and just wanted to share my experience so it helps you all as well, since it helped me a lot.

I attend a low tier Caribbean school and my grades were above average in medical school. During my MD5 prep, I was taking the Becker live online along with my courses and found it extremely helpful. Ergo, the resources i used were:

Becker
FA
Pathoma
(Goljan) - only for the major diseases like CF, MS etc.

Total prep time: 4 months

The main thing I can let you know is that even though you think you failed (which I did), it will always reflect how you did on your most recent NBMEs.

Form 11: 149
Form 12: 420
Form 13: 520
Form 15: 520
Form 16: 660
Form 17: 680.

For those of you wondering how I went from a 149 --> 420, the first NBME i took was coming right out of medical school so as you guys can see, i was not prepared very well. Then when i started dedicated studying from the resources above, my scores skyrocketed.

Thanks everyone for all the help on this exam!

I also received a lot of PMs requesting my notes so I have uploaded them onto a drive because I was unable to send to so many people. I will be selling it, so if interested, please PM.

Cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
congratulations

great score and huge improvement in scores from initial to real exam,
one question-why did you think you failed but actually did very well-was it because the answer choices were vague, or the answer choices that you cut down to and chose the final answer from were very similar or different in only one fact/concept.
Thanks for your reply in advance

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
great score and huge improvement in scores from initial to real exam,
one question-why did you think you failed but actually did very well-was it because the answer choices were vague, or the answer choices that you cut down to and chose the final answer from were very similar or different in only one fact/concept.
Thanks for your reply in advance
To be honest, it was because it was so much more different than my NBMEs and I felt like i could not use the same test taking strategies as I had normally done so i was left with like two at the end. Mostly it was because I couldnt for the life of me remember any questions and had no idea which ones i could potentially get wrong (so always assumed the worst). I guess on a more personal level, I always feel like i did well but end up doing worse so that was another factor.

Thanks for your kind words! Hope this helped and let me knw if you have any more questions

·
Registered
25 Posts
Congratulation for your great score!
Can you let us know which QBank did you use and what was the final average?
Also, how are the real step questions compare to practice questions like uworld and NBME? Is there a lot of random low yield facts/diseases on the real thing?
THank you

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congratulation for your great score!
Can you let us know which QBank did you use and what was the final average?
Also, how are the real step questions compare to practice questions like uworld and NBME? Is there a lot of random low yield facts/diseases on the real thing?
THank you
I only used Uworld and Becker.

To be honest, the length of questions were similar but the difficulty was obviously more. There were only high yield facts/diseases but much more integration between subjects.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you

Thank you for your replies and I wish you all the best for the rest,
a suggestion-look up Karthik Iyer on youtube for tips for usmle step 2 ck. this might help give some idea for the ck.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats!

was the actual exam similar to any NBMEs? or were you thrown off by a lot of randomly tested topics?
There were no 'randomly tested topics', I would say it was all high yield but the depth of information needed about each topic was about 2x as difficult as nbmes. Sometimes it was really hard to distinguish between two choices but you just have to take an educated guess.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Congratulations!!!

Great score..
How many times have you read pathoma and FA?Also, were you able to memorize entire FA?
I am very bad at memorizing:toosad:
Hey Everyone!

So I am a huge follower of this forum and have been since MD1 and just wanted to share my experience so it helps you all as well, since it helped me a lot.

I attend a low tier Caribbean school and my grades were above average in medical school. During my MD5 prep, I was taking the Becker live online along with my courses and found it extremely helpful. Ergo, the resources i used were:

Becker
FA
Pathoma

The main thing I can let you know is that even though you think you failed (which I did), it will always reflect how you did on your most recent NBMEs.

For those of you wondering how I went from a 149 --> 420, the first NBME i took was coming right out of medical school so as you guys can see, i was not prepared very well. Then when i started dedicated studying from the resources above, my scores skyrocketed.

Cheers

·
Registered
69 Posts
Congrats on your killer score. May I ask how many mistakes were you able to count after your exam? How many per block? And how many overall?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great score..
How many times have you read pathoma and FA?Also, were you able to memorize entire FA?
I am very bad at memorizing:toosad:
Thanks a lot. Well i didnt read all of pathoma like a novel so its hard to say - sme with FA. I made separate notes using both of them dividing them into organ systems and reviewed that :)

At this point, memorizing isnt gonna help. What i found were most questions were conceptual so memorizing first aid could only get you maybe 40-50 questions max (even that i doubted), and teh rest you really had to know your material.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congrats on your killer score. May I ask how many mistakes were you able to count after your exam? How many per block? And how many overall?
Took mine recently and I can't help but remember the stupidest mistakes ever.
Thanks so much! unfortunately (or fortunately i guess), i was only able to remember maybe 3 questions from my exam after so i had NOOOO idea which added to my stress before I got my score. I reiterate that your latest NBME is the best predictor (about +/- 10)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey Everyone!

Becker
FA
Pathoma

Cheers
Hey!!congrats on ur awesome scores!!=)
Could u please throw some light on how u studied anatomy(gross,neuro, embryo and histo)
Also an overview of ur study schedule?
Thanku! ^.^

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey!!congrats on ur awesome scores!!=)
Could u please throw some light on how u studied anatomy(gross,neuro, embryo and histo)
Also an overview of ur study schedule?
Thanku! ^.^
Love your screen name, it definitely helped me a lot in my prep.

I have a background in neuroscience so neuroanatomy I just used Becker review books which I found were more than enough but I also hear high yield is very popular. gross anatomy I also used becker and first aid and googled images for all the abnormalities (ie. CTs MRIs and Xrays) for whichever required them, this helped a lot. you can also take a look at Grays anatomy but my exam wasnt anatomy heavy so FA was enough for me (it wont be the same for you so try to use whichever review books youre comfortable with).

Embryo i also used Becker and first aid.

I did not study histo separately because it boded in well with pathophys so I was able to review it from there. I did not discover the need to study for it separately because I remembered stuff from MD1 pretty well. If you do need any materials, BRS histo is more that sufficient.

As for my study schedule, i would spend each day of the week for a different subject. Since i divided my schedule into organ systems, I used monday to study anatomy and embryo, tues and wed for physio + micro, thurs for path, fri for pharm and the weekend to do questions. Subjects like biochem required its own time after I completed all organ systems (you can also do these at the beginning). I studied it like it was organized in FA which was really helpful for integration.

Sorry if all this seems confusing, let me know if you have any additional questions to help make it clearer

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Everyone!

Becker
FA
Pathoma

Cheers
First of all Congratulation with a great score!

Did u started by systems review ( Cardiology - anatomy, pathology and so on) or by subjects ( anatomy, pathology etc) and did a system review at the end. How much time u dedicated for each section?
Thanks heaps :)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts