USMLE Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
First of all Congratulation with a great score!

Did u started by systems review ( Cardiology - anatomy, pathology and so on) or by subjects ( anatomy, pathology etc) and did a system review at the end. How much time u dedicated for each section?
Thanks heaps :)
I started with systems review itself caz it was easier and more organized and usually one system would take around a week - week and a half :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
How many times did you finish Uworld? Would you recommend buying the Becker qbank instead of Uworld?
Actually I really cant afford uworld that's why I am asking if it would be a good idea to just buy Uworld self assessments + some NBMEs while using Becker as my main qbank?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
How many times did you finish Uworld? Would you recommend buying the Becker qbank instead of Uworld?
Actually I really cant afford uworld that's why I am asking if it would be a good idea to just buy Uworld self assessments + some NBMEs while using Becker as my main qbank?
I finished both qbanks at least twice and incorrect god knows how many. And NO NO NO, becker should only be SUPPLEMENTED with uworld but uworld still has info that is super important not covered in becker.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi
Congrats on this great score and thanks for posting your experience. I am about to start my step 1 prep and i have exactly 4 months to do it. Some people are telling me that 4 months are not enough. I read that u also took 4 months to prepare. Could you please tell me the exact breakup of your time during these four months? like what you did in 1st month and so on. It would be really helpful for me.
Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hi
Congrats on this great score and thanks for posting your experience. I am about to start my step 1 prep and i have exactly 4 months to do it. Some people are telling me that 4 months are not enough. I read that u also took 4 months to prepare. Could you please tell me the exact breakup of your time during these four months? like what you did in 1st month and so on. It would be really helpful for me.
Thanks a lot!
Hey there asterius, as i mentioned, I used to spend about a week or so doing each organ system so in about 1.5 months I finished all organ systems (see my original post for the proper breakdown). The last two months were spent 8 hours doing 8 blocks (each block would take me around 40 mins to finish and the rest of the time just reviewing). In between these, during the last two moths I used to do nbmes/uwsa every 1- 1.5 weeks or so. The last month was done by mimicing test day as much as possible (in terms of waking up, breaks etc), reviewing my question banks and doing it one more time and also going over my notes from the first two months. I did my last nbme 10 days before my exam so I could at least redeem myself if in fact i did not get a score I liked.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Everyone!

So I am a huge follower of this forum and have been since MD1 and just wanted to share my experience so it helps you all as well, since it helped me a lot.

I attend a low tier Caribbean school and my grades were above average in medical school. During my MD5 prep, I was taking the Becker live online along with my courses and found it extremely helpful. Ergo, the resources i used were:

Becker
FA
Pathoma
(Goljan) - only for the major diseases like CF, MS etc.

Total prep time: 4 months

The main thing I can let you know is that even though you think you failed (which I did), it will always reflect how you did on your most recent NBMEs.

Form 11: 149
Form 12: 420
Form 13: 520
Form 15: 520
Form 16: 660
Form 17: 680.

For those of you wondering how I went from a 149 --> 420, the first NBME i took was coming right out of medical school so as you guys can see, i was not prepared very well. Then when i started dedicated studying from the resources above, my scores skyrocketed.

Thanks everyone for all the help on this exam!

Cheers
Hey thanks a lot for such a quick reply! Are you talking about this post? Could you please post a link here if its not this one? Although your answer definitely gives me an idea about your approach to exam. Thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.And congragulation ?.
I wonder are first aid and uw enough for biostatistcs and physiology..

Thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,
Congragulation and thanks a lot for sharing your experience.
I wonder are first aid and uw enough for biostatistcs and physiology.

Thank you !

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hi,
Congragulation and thanks a lot for sharing your experience.
I wonder are first aid and uw enough for biostatistcs and physiology.

Thank you !
For biostats, becker/kaplan and first aid are enough + a bunch fo questions.

Physio is probably the biggest (pathophys) section of the exam so first aid is nowhere enough. I used first aid, becker and costanzo. Use whatever it takes for you to get the deepest understand because it makes up almost 80% of your exam.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hey thanks a lot for such a quick reply! Are you talking about this post? Could you please post a link here if its not this one? Although your answer definitely gives me an idea about your approach to exam. Thanks again!
Love your screen name, it definitely helped me a lot in my prep.

I have a background in neuroscience so neuroanatomy I just used Becker review books which I found were more than enough but I also hear high yield is very popular. gross anatomy I also used becker and first aid and googled images for all the abnormalities (ie. CTs MRIs and Xrays) for whichever required them, this helped a lot. you can also take a look at Grays anatomy but my exam wasnt anatomy heavy so FA was enough for me (it wont be the same for you so try to use whichever review books youre comfortable with).

Embryo i also used Becker and first aid.

I did not study histo separately because it boded in well with pathophys so I was able to review it from there. I did not discover the need to study for it separately because I remembered stuff from MD1 pretty well. If you do need any materials, BRS histo is more that sufficient.

As for my study schedule, i would spend each day of the week for a different subject. Since i divided my schedule into organ systems, I used monday to study anatomy and embryo, tues and wed for physio + micro, thurs for path, fri for pharm and the weekend to do questions. Subjects like biochem required its own time after I completed all organ systems (you can also do these at the beginning). I studied it like it was organized in FA which was really helpful for integration.

Sorry if all this seems confusing, let me know if you have any additional questions to help make it clearer
Hey asterius, this is the post I was talking about. let me know if you need more clarity.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
A lot of people have been asking for my notes and I was not able to reach it to all of them. I uploaded them onto a site (all pdfs) so if anyone is interested, I will be selling it, PM me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Everyone!

So I am a huge follower of this forum and have been since MD1 and just wanted to share my experience so it helps you all as well, since it helped me a lot.

I attend a low tier Caribbean school and my grades were above average in medical school. During my MD5 prep, I was taking the Becker live online along with my courses and found it extremely helpful. Ergo, the resources i used were:

Becker
FA
Pathoma
(Goljan) - only for the major diseases like CF, MS etc.

Total prep time: 4 months

The main thing I can let you know is that even though you think you failed (which I did), it will always reflect how you did on your most recent NBMEs.

Form 11: 149
Form 12: 420
Form 13: 520
Form 15: 520
Form 16: 660
Form 17: 680.

For those of you wondering how I went from a 149 --> 420, the first NBME i took was coming right out of medical school so as you guys can see, i was not prepared very well. Then when i started dedicated studying from the resources above, my scores skyrocketed.

Thanks everyone for all the help on this exam!

Cheers
Im taking beckers also. Did you do the live course!? What do you think of it? Not much reviews online
And congratulations on your score!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I acutally took the live online course with school so it was mentally draining. I hear the live course is equally exhausting. My biggest suggestion would be to work through at least 1 block (44 questions) of Becker every night after class. After the course, you can begin to use Uworld (or even during the course if you have time), so you will make the most out of it and your prep time will be really straight forward and can take the step almost immediately.
Thats awesome! Will keep it in mind. Might take step 2 ck first. When are you graduating? And going for neuro? Same here:)

21 - 40 of 58 Posts