USMLE Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Hi evry1...i have heard that Step 1 n 2 exams r merging so that from june 2010 onwards there will b only one exam having both basic & clinical part..have any of u heard such news or have any idea abt this? :(:(:(

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
They are already merging

They are already merging together!

Every year more and more pathophysiology questions are seen in CK and more and more clinical questions are seen in step 1.

The idea to have two different exams was wrong from the start and I think to merge into exam is the way to go.

Though, I did not hear any official announcement about this.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
The CRU (Comprehensive Review of USMLE) which is a committee formed by members from FSMB, NBME, and ECFMG is continualy reviewing the structure of the USMLE and how to make it better.

The issue of merging Step 1 with Step 2 has been raised recently (rumors are true) but it has not been approved by the committee.

The current exam structure of Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3 will continue for the time being.

Here I quote for you the paragraph from their latest update:
"The overall structure of USMLE will remain stable at present, continuing to comprise Steps 1, 2 CK, 2 CS, and 3. In the longer term, it is likely that this structure will evolve to reflect other anticipated changes in exam content, competencies assessed, and testing formats used. Anticipated changes will be guided by CRU recommendations, and will consider (and accommodate to the extent possible) the diverse needs of the USMLE program's various stakeholders."

So they left the door open for future changes! but as of now there are no changes.

The full report is available on the net here
http://www.usmle.org/General_Information/CRU/Post-AAMC-USMLE-update.pdf

1 - 5 of 5 Posts