USMLE Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi for all
I took the exam in the new form of 44 question in each block at 6 Aug 2015.
Lots of students will tell you that the exam was easy and piece of cake .... yes it is, but after tons of effort and long time for preparation everything becomes a piece of cake!!! But the good news is it is not as scary and intimidating as you think it is. Just prepare well and the 8 hours exam will be a time to enjoy.
I do not wanna put a time schedule for you, because every one has different circumstances and mood. But I will be interested more in the content of the exam, especially some critical points of it.

1- Anatomy.... do not waste time worrying about anatomy...I read kaplan once, and even that was too much information for me...i knew that i will do well on all the other disciplines so wasting some points on anatomy was ok for me.
What's in first aid is enough to get some questions right. and the ones that you will get wrong, probably you would get them wrong anyway, even if you had wikipedia with you.
The new strategy of the question writer is make step1 more like step 2...so
PLEASE!!!! READ STEP 2 ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY PART from kaplan FOR THE STEP 1....It will really help...do not read any other textbook. Anatomy should take 1 2 weeks of your time that's it.
Neuroscience ....way too complicated in kaplan....DO NOT GO THROUGH IT...what's in FA is enough...do no waste time learning complicated pathways like the cerebellum... most probably you will get a question on hemianopsias ..that's it

2- Embryology, physiology, microbiology, pharmacology, biochemistry, those are very straightforward..no tricks at all...do kaplan lecture notes plus FA ...and you will have no trouble in the exam. some physiology questions will be little bit weird, but still with good reasoning you can get those questions right.
those disciplines are the ones that you should make sure to get the maximum amount of questions right. They are not tricky at all. The material and the science behind those is well known, and no major updates in those fields. so you should feel comfortable. do not worry about new drugs and novel treatments. it is an ocean of updates that you can't follow. stick to the usual, old stuff. It's more likely that you will get a question on thiazide and loop diuretics than a one on a recently discovered cancer drug with a complicated mechanism. Lots of drugs in FA are fancy and relatively new. Even those have very little chance to appear on the exam, but since it's in FA, then you can't risk it, so learn those and do not worry about other stuff.
I know there are respected step 1 lecturers out there doing integrated cases on very complicated topics and intimidating students. DO NOT GET LOST IN THOSE STUFF...step 1 materials are an ocean nowadays. you can't follow everything. stick to the old plan KAPLAN+FA+ UW.... you will be on the safe side.

3- Behavioral science, epidemiology, ethics..... despite the fact that most students always complain about those disciplines, including me, but after I got my score report I was surprised that I mastered those questions and got an asterisk on those topics in the score report. !!!!!
All i did was .....kaplan+FA+UW.... as usual ...the other books I have read are 2 very short books
Khan's clinical cases
kaplan 100 cases
PLEASE!!!! make sure to read those last two... I got a question on the exam that exactly matched one of the cases in these books!!!! to my surprise
behavioral and ethics could be mastered after all...

4- pathology is time to relax....all students give pathology most of the time of the preparation...you will end up surprised by the simplicity and easiness of pathology questions on the exam...I got asterisks on most of pathology system...it's ridiculously easy...
the eternal question on pathology is goljan or pathoma???
well I did both... ended up with first aid alone :D
my advice...DO NOT TOUCH GOLJAN
it's way too complicated, with tons of unnecessary detailed information.
Pathoma book and lectures are more than enough when combined with UW + FA
all questions were straightforward..and could be answered by FA alone...
the only questions I got about chromosomes and genes were M3 15:17...and Philadelphia 9:22 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that easy
pathology is your time to enjoy.
DO NOT WORRY ABOUT MICROSCOPIC IMAGES. VERY FEW ON THE EXAM. if you got one, probably you will know the answer still without checking the picture.

5- immunology .. is a problem because it is a field that is being always supplied with new information and discoveries. it is still developing and lots of room for the question writer to come up with new, unheard of questions.
I got an asterisk in the score report on this discipline too...
MAKE SURE to read BECKER immunology book + kaplan + FA + UW as usual
DO NOT READ HIGH YIELD IMMUNOLOGY ...IT'S WAY TOO DETAILED AND COMPLICATED....you will have a heart attack.

Q Banks

3 banks are out there. UW, Kplan and Rx

all students agree on the importance of UW. can't stress it enough.
DO NOT BE OBSESSIVE ABOUT UW. it's not that the question writer uses UW as a guide.
read the explanation for the right answer. the educational objective at the bottom and if you really have time read the explanation for the wrong choices, but usually those are distractors and silly choices with complicated explanations that are so low yield. do not waste time on that.

Kaplan q bank is optional...if you have time go through it. it stresses physiology and basic science a lot and that will help on the exam if you want 250, 260

Rx is very stupid and ill made bank. DO NOT WASTE TIME ON IT.
if you suffer from OCD then just anatomy,behavioral stuff . Pathology part is sooooo insulting for a usmle student. Most of questions mention key and buzz words, something the question writer will avoid

hope the post was helpful and I am here for further questions.
wish the best of luck for all.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congratulations. Did you do any NBME? How did they predict for you?
I did not do NBME..
but I have close friends who did....
NBME was 250....real exam 240
and I have read about the correlation between the real exam and NBME... it's
+- 10
use it like a tool to know your weak spots... not as a predictor for your score

best regards

·
Registered
63 Posts
congrats

congratulations !!! this is a dream score ! and many thanks for not making us panicky . btw, khan's clinical cases r on which subject ? on medical ethics ? And it will be very helpful if u kindly tell how do u suggest or how did u prepare for the last two months ? because i always feel i need to revise a lot nd still forget ...donot understand where to give stress - q bank or fa wd few texts content or divide time on both equally ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
congratulations !!! this is a dream score ! and many thanks for not making us panicky . btw, khan's clinical cases r on which subject ? on medical ethics ? And it will be very helpful if u kindly tell how do u suggest or how did u prepare for the last two months ? because i always feel i need to revise a lot nd still forget ...donot understand where to give stress - q bank or fa wd few texts content or divide time on both equally ?
khan's clinical cases are on ethics..very good ones
the stuff that you forget are memorization parts of the exam..you will be surprised if I told you you will not be needing that a lot on the exam day.
they don't go to picky details with the questions.
the questions I got wrong are the ones I never heard of and found hard time finding the answer of most of them even browsing the internet. Happy-2
never got any questions where i wondered ...wish i remembered this tiny detail .
last months just relax doing q banks
if u have done uw 3 4 times it's enough...either take the exam or go to kaplan q bank...heard some people doing uw 7 8 times...no meaning at all...it;s not that the question writer uses UW ...
more diverse your banks are, higher you will score
and people who do UW+kaplan q bank usually score higher than UW alone
because it's all about test taking skills + information
more questions you do, you will end up building an intuition on the subconscious level somehow :)) to FEEL the right answer even if you are not sure ...maybe it will not make sense to you...but believe me it works like that...this is an exam...maybe brilliant physicians will end up failing o step 1!!!
it does not say much about how good physician you are..it reflects your preparation for this particular exam..
if you did FA+UW few times and kaplan q bank couple of times ..then you are ready ...go for it ..do not put off the exam date..just take it

good luck

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Pasha, Congrats on such an awesome score!
One question I have, how did you get a hold of becker immunology book? I've been looking for it myself for sometime. Is it available offline? Just like all the kaplan books out there. If yes can you please send me a link.
Thanks a lot

·
Registered
63 Posts
advise

thank u so much . i understand perfectly what u r trying to say by mentioning "intuition " part ..i think u r absolutely true about building concept in subconscious level...ur advises i guess very helpful.thanks a lot.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi for all
Lots of students will tell you that the exam was easy and piece of cake .... yes it is, but after tons of effort and long time for preparation everything becomes a piece of cake!!! But the good news is it is not as scary and intimidating as you think it is. Just prepare well and the 8 hours exam will be a time to enjoy.
I do not wanna put a time schedule for you, because every one has different circumstances and mood. But I will be interested more in the content of the exam, especially some critical points of it.

1- Anatomy.... do not waste time worrying about anatomy...I read kaplan once, and even that was too much information for me...i knew that i will do well on all the other disciplines so wasting some points on anatomy was ok for me.
What's in first aid is enough to get some questions right. and the ones that you will get wrong, probably you would get then wrong anyway, even if you had wikipedia with you.
PLEASE!!!! READ STEP 2 ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY PART from kaplan FOR THE STEP 1....It will really help...do not read any other textbook. Anatomy should take 1 2 weeks of your time that's it.
Neuroscience ....way too complicated in kaplan....DO NOT GO THROUGH IT...what's in FA is enough...do no waste time learning complicated pathways like the cerebellum... most probably you will get a question on hemianopsias ..that's it

2- Embryology, physiology, microbiology, pharmacology, biochemistry, those are very straightforward..no tricks at all...do kaplan lecture notes plus FA ...and you will have no trouble in the exam. some physiology questions will be little bit weird, but still with good reasoning you can get those questions right.
those disciplines are the ones that you should make sure to get the maximum amount of questions right. They are not tricky at all. The material and the science behind those is well known, and no major updates in those fields. so you should feel comfortable. do not worry about new drugs and novel treatments. it is an ocean of updates that you can't follow. stick to the usual, old stuff. It's more likely that you will get a question on thiazide and loop diuretics than a one on a recently discovered cancer drug with a complicated mechanism. Lots of drugs in FA are fancy and relatively new. Even those have very little chance to appear on the exam, but since it's in FA, then you can't risk it, so learn those and do not worry about other stuff.
I know there are respected step 1 lecturers out there doing integrated cases on very complicated topics and intimidating students. DO NOT GET LOST IN THOSE STUFF...step 1 materials are an ocean nowadays. you can't follow everything. stick to the old plan KAPLAN+FA+ UW.... you will be on the safe side.

3- Behavioral science, epidemiology, ethics..... despite the fact that most students always complain about those disciplines, including me, but after I got my score report I was surprised that I mastered those questions and got an asterisk on those topics in the score report. !!!!!
All i did was .....kaplan+FA+UW.... as usual ...the other books I have read are 2 very short books
Khan's clinical cases
kaplan 100 cases
PLEASE!!!! make sure to read those last two... I got a question on the exam that exactly matched one of the cases in these books!!!! to my surprise

4- pathology is time to relax....all students give pathology most of the time of the preparation...you will end up surprised by the simplicity and easiness of pathology questions on the exam...I got asterisks on most of pathology system...it's ridiculously easy...
the only questions I got about chromosomes and genes were M3 15:17...and Philadelphia 9:22 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that easy
pathology is you time to enjoy.
DO NOT WORRY ABOUT MICROSCOPIC IMAGES. VERY FEW ON THE EXAM. if you got one, probably you will know the answer still without checking the picture.

5- immunology .. is a problem because it is a field that is being always supplied with new information and discoveries. it is still developing and lots of room for the question writer to come up with new, unheard of questions.
DO NOT READ HIGH YIELD IMMUNOLOGY ...IT'S WAY TOO DETAILED AND COMPLICATED....you will have a heart attack.

Q Banks

DO NOT BE OBSESSIVE ABOUT UW. it's not that the question writer uses UW as a guide.
read the explanation for the right answer. the educational objective at the bottom and if you really have time read the explanation for the wrong choices, but usually those are distractors and silly choices with complicated explanations that are so low yield. do not waste time on that.

Kaplan q bank is optional...if you have time go through it. it stresses physiology and basic science a lot and that will help on the exam if you want 250, 260

if you suffer from OCD then just anatomy,behavioral stuff . Pathology part is sooooo insulting for a usmle student. Most of questions mention key and buzz words, something the question writer will avoid

Congrats on such a great score. Where did you study biostats and epidemiology from? Was alot of it tested?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi for all

What's in first aid is enough to get some questions right. and the ones that you will get wrong, probably you would get then wrong anyway, even if you had wikipedia with you.

Khan's clinical cases
kaplan 100 cases

pathology is you time to enjoy.

Q Banks

congrats

where the questions lengthy than uworld kaplan qbanks?

did u face difficulty managing time during exam?

what was different in the questions of real deal n uworld?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
congrats

where the questions lengthy than uworld kaplan qbanks?

did u face difficulty managing time during exam?

what was different in the questions of real deal n uworld?
the questions were as long or even shorter...some questions were just 2 lines.
time is no problem....just if you know the answer or not..pick an answer and move...
out of 1 hour break i used just 40 minutes
you can do 2 blocks or even 3 before feeling tired
you can take a break without going out ..just staying in your chair and relaxing...so you would not lose time for check in and out
good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Pasha, Congrats. I'm preparing for Step 1. I am done with Kaplans, DIT Videos, FA and did one round of UW for the past 6 months, but my NBME score (Offline- 15) is very low (barely at the passing score). So now I have about 1-2 months, I wonder what is your suggestions for the time remaining? I'm definitely planning to do the UW one more round, so do you think that would improve my score (hoping for ~220-230) and is that time gonna be enough and how long more do U think I better continue studying (roughly)? Cause I've really panicked and lost my confidence after all these preparations! :(( Thanks a lot in advance

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
Congratulations! Stellar score :)
Could you tell me when to start working UW..as in right from the start or after the first read?
Also, how many weeks/months of prep would be sufficient for Kaplan+FA+UW+KQBank+Rx?

Thank you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi,
Congratulations! Stellar score :)
Could you tell me when to start working UW..as in right from the start or after the first read?
Also, how many weeks/months of prep would be sufficient for Kaplan+FA+UW+KQBank+Rx?

Thank you.
start UW after you read everything at least once...coz the questions are integrated. i.e. biochemistry questions need some understanding of physiology too....so do not make the mistake of doing UW section after finishing the related discipline...wait till you are done with everything then do UW.

if you wanna do all those banks and FA several times then you are talking about a time frame of 10 months ...
you need 6 months to go over everything once...
and then all those banks 3 4 times... that's not less than additional 4 months

but please ..my advice is do not waste time on Rx.... just anatomy and behavioral if you insist
good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congrats on the great score.

3 questions:

Question 1:
When you say Kaplan+FA+UW, do you mean Kaplan qbank or Kaplan lecture notes?

Question 2:
Please tell me what should I do with Kaplan Qbank anatomy questions. There are lots of them and they are not easy at all.

How did you study them? did you memorize each and every one of them?

Which is better, RX anatomy Or Kaplan Qbank anatomy?

Question 3
CT scans and radiology questions. How do I get prepared for those? I am scared of them :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
pathology

goljan or pathoma ... i first hear goljan is the key to pathology .... now i am hearing pathoma and its videos are also good ... pathoma look very much concise like half the no of pages of goljan ... i fear that might questions may came beyond tht ... plz clear my this doubt i will be very thankul to u

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi for all

What's in first aid is enough to get some questions right. and the ones that you will get wrong, probably you would get them wrong anyway, even if you had wikipedia with you.

Khan's clinical cases
kaplan 100 cases

Q Banks

What kind of student are you? are you a graduate? i know you recommend both ethics books but do you think one is enough? what is the difference btw the two? iam using kaplan vids for behavioral sci along side with FA right now and brs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi for all

Khan's clinical cases
kaplan 100 cases

Q Banks

Thaaaaannnnnkkkkkk youuuuuuu!!!!��

1 - 20 of 83 Posts