USMLE Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes the Step one is getting harder.
Passing score raised (see related news)
Questions are all longer now (read related news)
The material is updated every 3 months

Yes its getting harder, the NBME has its aim to make it difficult for non US medical Grads. The structure of questions are geared towards US students and they way they are taught and tested. That is why over 85% of them pass the first time and over 40% of FMG's fail. I truly think the NBME would like to see at least 50% of FMG's fail.

This should not scare you but should be a wake up call.

Its only a test. But too many people do not properly prepare and take very very bad advice.

The keys:

the review material to read and reread
Questions for exercise of the thought processes used on the tests

You cannot download questions and expect the same experience, you must do the online Questions through a service. Don't have the money then forget the whole thing, you are gambling with passing or getting a decent score.

I'm doing an online Qbank for step two and I have to say it helps tremendously.

To be a Doctor in the USA is to join a club.
When you go to medical school outside the US you have already bypassed some of the Hazing that is premed and the MCAT. You then must pass the same test as the US students. This test used to be about medicine but is evolving into a test that is geared more to US style of medicine and less of what is practiced around the world.

Its a test of theory and rare conditions more than everyday medicine.

A test that questions have 2 right answers, one is "More right" then the other, and at times its argumentative.

A test of not enough information and you must assume the right answer at times. Yes even though in real life you want tests and evidence for treatments on the USMLE you can have very little information, so little the at the answer is completely luck and a guess.

A test that after you pass it the Attendings tell you, Now we will teach you medicine.

We need more Doctors in the US? Sure, the US medical schools are increasing by 30% in enrollment but how many are retiring or leaving the profession?

Its a strange place the US. After 46 years being a US born native I still do not understand why its so messed up. :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
yup u r rt....but still the knowledge and facts of basic sciences and clinical will be same no mater how much u r distracted by making lenthy scienerio.
anyways thank you for info.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great article ... thanks for every word in it :) it warns of hardness of step 1 ... which made me afraid :eek: :notsure:

·
Registered
29 Posts

i just have little question..you mentioned to have latest kaplan, fa stuff..what if someone buys all this stuff let say 2 years prior to his exams, then will he be outdated for his exams??

·
Registered
752 Posts
It's hard, but fair.

I think the USMLE primarily assesses the way you think and the way you take actions and solve problems. There's no way a written question can simulate a real patient encounter, but the USMLE does not try to do that. It's a test of knowledge, reasoning, and IQ. Yes, a higher IQ can bring you a higher score, I think. After all the exams I've taken throughout my educational career, including those in med school (I'm an IMG), I can say that the USMLE is the fairest exam I've ever taken (I took Step 1).

·
Registered
109 Posts
i second u Haisook..
In most countries, there is limited opportunity for a non citizen to pursue his/her education. most of the exams are not open to students overseas. admission is based on how much money a person "donates" to the institution.
By making usmle an open to all exam, U.S is giving us a fair chance to compete with the students there, and prove our worth. One cant blame the country coz its exams are native student friendly.. it is meant for them! for imgs, it tests how well one can adapt to their environment, and yes! it does test our IQ.
there is only one way to ace the usmle- hard work! no other shortcuts work..

·
Registered
2 Posts
dude you scaring the hell out of me seriously :(
usmle should i say tata bye bye
man but i agree at same you are spot on
nicely written

·
Registered
109 Posts
chill

haha..come on.. we all are in this together.. giving up is never the solution:) we ll just need to push ourselves a lil.. run the extra mile..and hopefully soon enough, we'll be at the other end of the road...all the best:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you very much

Thank you very much for this guiding article.
really, it needs very hard work, ambition, and patience to make it,,
hope goodluck for everyone !!! :)

·
Banned
11 Posts
Don't listen to these ideas. USMLE has targets so you should study as you can and then do your best on exam and you'll be fine. I really think so. If USMLE was hard so It'll be hard on american and international students.

So, don't worry at all.

:cool::confused::cool: then :cool::)):cool: = :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts