USMLE Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's 3 a.m. in the busy ER on the first really cold night of the year, where you are moonlighting for some extra money. A 17-year-old boy comes in complaining of shortness of breath. He states he was in his new apartment all night watching TV, when he became acutely short of breath and called 911. On physical examination, you find that he is breathing at a rate of 30 but has a normal lung exam and appears an odd pink color. You put a finger oxygen saturation meter on him, which quickly reads 100%. An EKG is normal. He appears in severe respiratory distress. You perform a diagnostic test, which reveals the correct and best diagnosis among the following options.
A Asbestos exposure
B Asthma exacerbation
C Carbon monoxide poisoning
D Pneumonia
E Pulmonary embolism

???

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When asked whether a serial murderer should be out to death by the state, a patient responds that it is against his religion to take another person's life, so the serial murderer should not be put to death. According to ethical theory, what age is this patient likely to be?
A 6–9
B 10–11
C 10–15
D 11–34
E 17 and older
F 25 and older

The ans for this qn is E) 17 and older. I don't understand why is this certain age group? Please any Doc on the board explain to me. thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's 3 a.m. in the busy ER on the first really cold night of the year, where you are moonlighting for some extra money. A 17-year-old boy comes in complaining of shortness of breath. He states he was in his new apartment all night watching TV, when he became acutely short of breath and called 911. On physical examination, you find that he is breathing at a rate of 30 but has a normal lung exam and appears an odd pink color. You put a finger oxygen saturation meter on him, which quickly reads 100%. An EKG is normal. He appears in severe respiratory distress. You perform a diagnostic test, which reveals the correct and best diagnosis among the following options.
A Asbestos exposure
B Asthma exacerbation
C Carbon monoxide poisoning
D Pneumonia
E Pulmonary embolism

???
C) carbon monoxide poisoning, pink color and saturation doesn't show decrease. Bloodgas-analysis would reveal changes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
When asked whether a serial murderer should be out to death by the state, a patient responds that it is against his religion to take another person's life, so the serial murderer should not be put to death. According to ethical theory, what age is this patient likely to be?
A 6-9
B 10-11
C 10-15
D 11-34
E 17 and older
F 25 and older

The ans for this qn is E) 17 and older. I don't understand why is this certain age group? Please any Doc on the board explain to me. thanks.
i did not get the question!! :toosad:

·
Registered
21 Posts
i did not get the question!! :toosad:
According to cognitive development rules, this age group demonstrates formal thinking behavior meaning conformity is the focus of this age ;they adhere to their identity( religion etc.).
10, 11 years olds do not exhibit formal thinking behaviors( choices A,B,C)
Formal thinking starts in late teens hence the best answer is E.
That is what I understand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts