USMLE Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY STEP 1 EXPERIENCE 254

"I am always doing things I can't do, that's how I get to do them. ― Pablo Picasso

GRADUATION YEAR (2013)
Exam : July 23,2014
Score report : Aug 13,2014

Preparation time : 8 months

Resources Used:
1) Kaplan Lecture notes (for all subjects except pathology)
2) Pathoma for pathology (Excellent study tool; enjoy it with it's lectures)
3) Kaplan video lectures (for all subjects except pathology)
4) First Aid( annotate all important points on it,I found it really boring but it's elixir for STEP 1)
5) 100 cases by Conrad Fischer
Additional books (optional)
1) BRS physiology
2) High yield Neuroanatomy
3) High yield Biostats
4) High yield Cell and molecular biology (few topics)
5) Goljan audio lectures

Q banks:
1)U world (most important study aid,do it thoroughly,ONLINE mode is recommended)
2)Kaplan Q bank (Solved it offline)
3) Usmle Rx (incase one has time, helps with retaining First Aid points)

ASSESSMENTS:
NBME 2,3,4,5,6,7,11,12,15 (solved offline on a periodic basis to gauge my learning)

ONLINE exams

NBME 13 250 (2 weeks out)
NBME 16 250 (1 week out)
UWSA 1 263 (3 weeks out)
UWSA 2 265 (2 weeks out)

REAL DEAL 254

IMPORTANT
1) Number of reads does not count. Do 1/2 good reads thoroughly and make concepts.
2) Annotate every important point on First Aid. It is time consuming but is fruitful ( I tried to stay away from First Aid as much as I could but ended up doing it anyway)
3) FA & Uworld ( most important but not a substitute for knowledge base,do Kaplan lecture notes )
4) Solve as many questions as possible ( I loved solving questions from whatever source I could get my hands on)
5) Exam day is the most important. Stay calm & manage time(I got a bit stressed in 1 or 2 blocks and got very simple questions wrong in agony)
6) There will be ups and downs during the preparation. Try to relax and enjoy the journey.

All the best!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow another great score. Congratulations :)
Can u share ur nbme scores thst u solved offline? And Were u doin it weekly?
Thanks!
Offline nbme scores ranged from 165 to 180 correct responses out of 200 . Improved over time.
Yeah weekly or fortnightly.

·
Registered
92 Posts
congratulations! you did a great job and ended up with an amazing score.

Did you find memorizing FA to be helpful or just the topics covered in uworld questions?

Does every sentence matter or just the larger picture in general?

I completed kaplan a while ago and do not have time to go over them again.

Kinda in that panic mode right now. Would appreciate your input.

thank you very much!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
congratulations! you did a great job and ended up with an amazing score.

Did you find memorizing FA to be helpful or just the topics covered in uworld questions?

Does every sentence matter or just the larger picture in general?

I completed kaplan a while ago and do not have time to go over them again.

Kinda in that panic mode right now. Would appreciate your input.

thank you very much!
Thanks.
Memorizing FA is definitely helpful although I realised it towards the end of my preparation. Every word matters in a sense that you should be knowing the whole story/concept behind it and this can be achieved by reading Kaplan and Uworld properly. Stay cool,it's the key. Best

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
congratulations...great score

what do you recommend in the last month before the exam & last 2 weeks?

& i want to do 2 online NBME, 15 & 16 or 13 & 16, what do u think?

thank you.
Thanks.. Last month: FA + UW
Do NBME 13 must. decide between 15 & 16. 13 and 16 are the toughest of all. 15 is a bit easy compared to these.
Best

Reactions: excellence

·
Registered
104 Posts
Congrats on the great score!

1) How much of the questions were from anatomy/neuroanatomy? Were they hard/weird or do-able?
2) How did you feel after finishing the whole exam? Were you expecting the score you got or mixed feelings?
3) How much extra time did you have after each block?

Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats :)
When do u advise to solve kaplan qbank?after each subject in first read? What are the most important subjects to solve ?
Thank you
Thank you.. I solved kaplan Q bank subjectwise during first read. Incase of time issues solve genetics,cell biology,immuology and pathophysiology.
Best

Reactions: Hamada

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats on the great score!

1) How much of the questions were from anatomy/neuroanatomy? Were they hard/weird or do-able?
2) How did you feel after finishing the whole exam? Were you expecting the score you got or mixed feelings?
3) How much extra time did you have after each block?

Thanks!
thank you.
1) around 10/15 questions..Pretty much doable
2)I was sure that I would cross 250 after taking exam but I was hoping for 260 ;)
3)7 to 8 min to review but I felt the need to have atleast 5 more min. Time management is important
Best

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Iam following same strategy
How much time did u take to solve before going to the next subject? What was ur approach?did annotate in FA ?
Which version of kaplan qbank u solved?[

That depends on the number of blocks for each subject. 2 to 3 blocks per day. I did not annotate it on FA.
I solved the latest version in offline mode.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha I like your confidence! Would you say you learned more from qbanks rather than review books?
Like Dr.Daugherty mentioned in one of his lectures that Both review books and solving questions help in climbing the ladder.I totally agree with it. One need to give due time to both. Solving questions from various sources boost confidence and help building reflexes for exam.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello! Great score!! Congratulations. :)

I have my Step 1 in about 3 months. I just subscribed to Uworld and have done about 10 blocks(mixed/timed). Getting between 63-70%. A bit disappointed with the mistakes I'm making. Is this normal to begin with?
Also I'm very weak at Behavioural Sciences and biostatistics.:notsure: Is Kaplan and 100 cases enough?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello! Great score!! Congratulations. :)

I have my Step 1 in about 3 months. I just subscribed to Uworld and have done about 10 blocks(mixed/timed). Getting between 63-70%. A bit disappointed with the mistakes I'm making. Is this normal to begin with?
Also I'm very weak at Behavioural Sciences and biostatistics.:notsure: Is Kaplan and 100 cases enough?
Hey thanks! As long as you are scoring above 60%, you are safe. Also Uworld is a study tool. Keep up the good work. You will be fine.
Yes !

Reactions: sat77
1 - 20 of 27 Posts