USMLE Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I follow Kaplan+High yield+ Pathoma and later UW+FA......or the books rated by First Aid...they didn't recommend Kaplan....ur suggestions r most welcomed

·
Registered
29 Posts
Kaplan was listed in some older FA as a complete course.

I have recently started with Step 1 prep with Kaplan/ Pathoma/ FA/ Qbanks Model. And its quite alright. Although when I attempted an NBME and some Q Blocks, I felt I could do better with some the books I had used previously, because even though its been a long time, I'm familiar with what was were and how it all linked together. But I have chosen against using those because they are huge (except maybe 3, Lippincotts biochem, Levinsion Micro/Immuno, Katzung review Pharm). And going all through kaplan would ensure that I'm not unnecessarily repeating stuff or going through low yield stuff.

But had I used Medium/small sized resources for all or most of the subjects, I'm sure I would go for those as it would save me a lot of time.

So, its up to you. In my opinion, if for most of the subjects you used books among those rated down to B-, you would like to stick to those. Otherwise, kaplan, pathoma fa etc is good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I forgot to write why I think using old resources would save time was because, then I could straight ahead jump to FA and only review that which I had trouble understanding. With kaplan, topics are mostly not repeated. You got phyiso in physio and biochem in biochem book for related stuff unlike those other books. And if you are familiar with those other books, you would remember where it was best written and that with it would fit nicely with your previous 'knowledge net'.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot to write why I think using old resources would save time was because, then I could straight ahead jump to FA and only review that which I had trouble understanding. With kaplan, topics are mostly not repeated. You got phyiso in physio and biochem in biochem book for related stuff unlike those other books. And if you are familiar with those other books, you would remember where it was best written and that with it would fit nicely with your previous 'knowledge net'.
thnx a lot!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Should I follow Kaplan+High yield+ Pathoma and later UW+FA......or the books rated by First Aid...they didn't recommend Kaplan....ur suggestions r most welcomed
I would highly suggest becker > Kaplan for all subjects and also supplement Kaplan for pharm because all the amazing professors from Kaplan like Raymon are now working with Becker. but other than that, use goljan, CMRS as well. If you are interested in how I used the sources, check out my post for a more detailed post!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts