USMLE Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all my fellow members,

I have started studying for Step 1 and I am using Goljan RR + KLN + UW (in future).

I was wondering if people here recommend making self notes while reading these books? I can imagine it being easy to say that yeah, if you can why not because they will help you like nothing else but my point is how much do we really need it? I take lot of time when it comes to writing hence i prefer to read and make short notes on the sides but apparently this is not so useful when you are doing the last read before the exam and its a lot better to make concise notes of yourself.

I want to know if anyone did it or didn't do it and how useful was it?

Thanks in advance.:)

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I faced the same problem

I faced the same problem when I did my Step 1. Finally I realized that this is impossible. So what I did I kept writing side notes on my books but I also made a list of the stuff that I have to review in the last few days before the exam.
This list will mention "Topic" and "page where read it". This will extremely help you to master the stuff that you tend to forget all the time.

Rasheed has posted his own list here
http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-step-1-recommended-threads/1401-list-forgettables.html

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree with Sabio. I'm making notes in First Aid from Kaplan but only of points that I tend to forget. It's my second reading this time so I've realized what points are difficult for me to recall. If I had done it along with my first reading I think it would've been a complete waste because there's so much information that becomes totally obvious after your 1st reading. (For example, certain diseases like Cystic Fibrosis are repeated in different subjects.) My First Aid would've been a mess if I had written things in on my first reading lol. I don't think it's possible to put Goljan notes into First Aid. I think that book is good to review on it's own. I like the idea of making a list. :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
I would suggest u to make notes of Q bank only...so that u can revise it in short time....m doing the same....it helps....regarding goljan n kaplan to read whole book is important not just it's notes....so don't waste ur time in making ur notes from Kaplan n Goljan....rather revise it twice....n make notes from 2 or 3 Q banks...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with Sabio. I'm making notes in First Aid from Kaplan but only of points that I tend to forget. It's my second reading this time so I've realized what points are difficult for me to recall. If I had done it along with my first reading I think it would've been a complete waste because there's so much information that becomes totally obvious after your 1st reading. (For example, certain diseases like Cystic Fibrosis are repeated in different subjects.) My First Aid would've been a mess if I had written things in on my first reading lol. I don't think it's possible to put Goljan notes into First Aid. I think that book is good to review on it's own. I like the idea of making a list. :)
Yeah i am thinking the same of making notes in FA as i have started reading that book and its of great help. However i have noticed that KLN itself has summary notes at the end and i could add my own there but i guess it won't be easy to read from there in short time.
I will be reading Goljan RR continously during my whole period of studies hence in a way i can make it my own book with notes as well.
Thanks a lot for your input though.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would suggest u to make notes of Q bank only...so that u can revise it in short time....m doing the same....it helps....regarding goljan n kaplan to read whole book is important not just it's notes....so don't waste ur time in making ur notes from Kaplan n Goljan....rather revise it twice....n make notes from 2 or 3 Q banks...
I am thinking of making a scrap book when i start with question banks as i hopefully will have learnt stuff from the books (apart from concepts which some of them might need revision) and i will just add on the new stuff in a new book.

Thanks for the advice though.

Are your notes system wise or subject wise from Qbanks?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I am thinking of making a scrap book when i start with question banks as i hopefully will have learnt stuff from the books (apart from concepts which some of them might need revision) and i will just add on the new stuff in a new book.

Thanks for the advice though.

Are your notes system wise or subject wise from Qbanks?
m doing random blocks so they r all random...the things i feel not in our books, i write it down in separate note book...:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts