USMLE Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear friends,

I'm an intern in an government college. I have two months of Electives in Yale, both in medicine, and GI and Infectious. I have two LOR'S from the faculty at Yale including a letter from their X-program director.

I just received my CS result and was greatly shocked to learn that they have failed me in the ICE part of CS. I'm totally distraught, and I don't know what to do, I'm going to apply for recheck although I know it's futile.

I'm going to be applying for the 2015 match and I know I'm confident to get a decent score. I could somebody Plz tell me the chances as to what I can do to improve my chances. I'm also going to be doing around 3 Observerships.

Will greatly appreciate all inputs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A government college medical seat in India is supposed to be more difficult to get. But I realize that has no bearing on this right now. Would be pleased to hear your views on the situation right now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is a difficult question to answer. As always, anything is possible and a failure in an exam does not disqualify you from matching. However, I see this scenario all to often in foreign medical graduates. It must be understood that the standard that a foreign grad must achieve in order to match is much higher than an American or even a Caribbean graduate. Thus any failure in an exam wherein the vast majority of American students pass such as CS is a major hindrance to the applicant. Foreign graduates already have a stigma attached to them that they lack communication skills inherent to most American students and so failing an exam like the CS only further perpetuates this notion that you are unable to either communicate adequately with patients or relate to them appropriately (in an English speaking setting of course). IMHO, failing the CS is the absolute worst thing a foreign grad can do to himself. I personally feel it is worse than failing the other USMLE exams. However, having said this, I think the fact that you have LORs from US attendings from esteemed programs helps to nullify your CS failure to a certain extent. I think in your personal statement you will need to address this failure and offer a valid reason as to why it occurred. Always be the first to bring up some inadequacy...do not let someone catch you off guard. Lastly, for god sakes man, make sure you pass the CS on your second attempt!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot buddy. I really appreciate the input. I actually failed in the ICE part, and got high scores in the English speaking and patient communication section. I'll surely pass, I'm shocked its happened the first time.

If your in a programme, could you kindly ask around as to what are the chances with such a profile with a good score in the other steps?

Really appreciate the input. Hope to hear from you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Which college

Dear friends,

I'm an intern in an government college. I have two months of Electives in Yale, both in medicine, and GI and Infectious. I have two LOR'S from the faculty at Yale including a letter from their X-program director.

I just received my CS result and was greatly shocked to learn that they have failed me in the ICE part of CS. I'm totally distraught, and I don't know what to do, I'm going to apply for recheck although I know it's futile.

I'm going to be applying for the 2015 match and I know I'm confident to get a decent score. I could somebody Plz tell me the chances as to what I can do to improve my chances. I'm also going to be doing around 3 Observerships.

Will greatly appreciate all inputs.
Hey you are from which college?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts