USMLE Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

I'm a Canadian citizen who went to study medicine in the UK right after high school and I'm currently in my 3rd year. I've recently developed a serious interest in ophthalmology after doing an observership in Toronto the past summer. I'm quite well aware that the odds are against me, but I'd just like to know how realistic I should be and perhaps advice on how to plan my next few years before I apply. I haven't done my Step 1 yet but am studying for it at the moment; I realize it's an important indicator of my potential success, but I hope you guys can bear with me until I sit the exam.

A bit about me academically otherwise:
1st year: Rank 1/268
2nd year: Rank 8/268
3rd year: Rank 32/268

(My medical school kinda mixes up the years after 2nd year so the "3rd year" rank is after our exams in December 2012).

I've presented a medical education/peer-assisted learning research project at an international conference in Lyon as a poster, which I was first named on.

I've also set up a 6 week mini-elective at the Tilganga Institue of Ophthalmology in Nepal which has a fascinating philosophy/scheme of providing ophthalmic care to underprivileged areas.

Looking forward to some advice/realism from you guys.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Nothing is impossible.

Looking at your dedication and superb performance I would guess that you will be scoring really high in USMLE.

Keep doing what you are doing and go get super high scores (I would say over 250) in both steps then come to USA and try to do some form of USCE and get US LoRs.

Research and scholarly activities definitely help, try to publish in medline journals and present in US conferences.

Work from today on getting US connections with ophthalmologists and that would really pay off later.

I know IMGs who matched in ophthalmology so it's not an unattainable dream.

However, I have to say that you need to always have "Plan B", like just in case after all that you don't get it.

Wishing you all the luck.

Don't forget to come back to this thread and tell us after you match in ophthalmology!

-

·
Registered
39 Posts
ophtho

Hello im also very interested in ophthalmology. im planning to take step 1 in september. ive already passed the fellowship part 1 exam n ophthalmology in pakistan and the basic sciences part of the international council of ophthalmology. i have done a six months rotation in ophthalmology aswell. plus one month job each in seperate hospitals. soon im going to start my post grad training in ophthalmology. but ive heard its extremely difficult to get a match in ophthalmology. can i have any benefits of all the achievements ive had in ophthalmology? :notsure:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts