USMLE Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 73 year old man brought to the ER after ingesting 10 10mg Diazepam tablets. When his condition stabilized he was referred for psychiatric evaluation. Which of the following is most important in assessing his risk for suicide?

A- Family history of suicide
B- Male gender
C- Marital status
D- Early morning awakening and diminished appetite
E- Patient's belief that Diazepam would kill him

·
Registered
187 Posts
An old aphorism says that women have the most attempts & men have the most success! I believe that the correct answer is B.

Choice A: Although depression undoubtedly has a genetic compound & some kind of heredity, the manifestation of a suicide attempt has rather behavioral and epidemiological correlations.

Choice C: Marital status plays an important role both for depression and suicide attmpts, but if a man is determined to commit it, nothing can stop him! :eek:

Choice D: Disruption of wake-sleep patterns & appetite is indispensable in the diagnosis of depression, but this doesn't mean that such a patient will kill himself!

Choice E: I still believe that, above all, this poor man's gender is the major determinant for his potential suicide attempts.

Any different opinion would be more than welcome! (and any same one, as well!!!:rolleyes:)

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make sure it's an attempt

Choice E: I still believe that, above all, this poor man's gender is the major determinant for his potential suicide attempts
I think we should first ascertain that it was in fact a suicidal attempt before we look at the risk factors!
What if this man did not recognize that this number of Valium pills is going to kill him! I go with choice E.

·
Registered
316 Posts
i ll go with E...

i think previous attempt of suicide or planning for suicide is the biggest risk factor and an emergency for admitting patients in da ward!!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
question no where said patient try to sucide.

conforming that he thought diazepam would kill him is looks more important to me, only after that it should be considered suicide attempt :D

however in question presented differently gender would my choice

but that just me :rolleyes:

·
Registered
92 Posts
The answer is B.

The five highest risk factors for suicide (in decreasing order of risk) are:
1- Serious prior suicide attempt
2- Age > 45
3- Alcohol dependence
4- History of rage and violent behavior
5- Male gender

(High Yield Behavioral Science)
Won't his belief that diazepam would kill him suggest that he has a plan on how to commit suicide? That may be reading into the question, though...

·
Registered
288 Posts
The answer is B.

The five highest risk factors for suicide (in decreasing order of risk) are:
1- Serious prior suicide attempt
2- Age > 45
3- Alcohol dependence
4- History of rage and violent behavior
5- Male gender

(High Yield Behavioral Science)
i contrast i have read a similar Q once,i mean why would he think Diazepam would kill him?so we need evaluate him as for what made him take Diazepam?does he want to suicide?so in this line we can ask him why do u thnk Diazepam will take your life......option E?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.