USMLE Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mature erythrocytes taken from a patient with chronic anemia are placed in an isotonic, glucose-containing solution. The cells are observed to swell, then rupture. The erythrocytes actively uptake glucose. The addition of ATP to the solution prevents this phenomenon. If this is due to an autosomal recessive glycolytic enzyme deficiency, which enzyme is missing?
A. Phosphofructokinase-1
B. Glyceraldehyde phosphate dehydrogenase
C. Glucokinase
D. Pyruvate kinase
E. Hexokinase

·
Registered
122 Posts
It' definately "D" ... RBC can be osmotically fragile in case of pyruvate Kinase deficiencey.
RBC swell due to decrease Na/K pump & ion imbalance
While also, ATP correction indicates That RBC have anaerobic energy metabolism, and when Pyruvate kinase is defecient = No ATP produced at anaerobic metabolism. THis leads to hemolysis of the RBC in the spleen
:cool::cool::cool::cool: B I N G O ...

·
Registered
919 Posts
It' definately "D" ... RBC can be osmotically fragile in case of pyruvate Kinase deficiencey.
While also, ATP correction indicates That RBC have anaerobic energy metabolism, and when Pyruvate kinase is defecient = No ATP produced at anaerobic metabolism. THis leads to hemolysis of the RBC in the spleen
ive read about this before but i cant find where now. can u pls tell me where i can find it in FA or kaplan (if u still remember)?

thx.

·
Registered
414 Posts
nice,
i knew it but still answered wrong :(:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts