USMLE Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In systemic sclerosis what are the cells responsible for the sclerosis of the dermis/arterioles. I remember the choices had down endothelium, platelets, lymphocytes, neutrophils. I was looking for fibroblasts but that wasn't a choice. any idea??

Also what bacteria is transmitted via a tick bite in Grand Canyon area? that stains with wright's?

·
Registered
487 Posts
event is initiated by endothelial injury....but actual fibrosis is caused by lymphocytes....

Fibrosis can be caused by profibrotic cytokines, including transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-beta), interleukin-4 (IL-4), platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF), and connective-tissue growth factor.1 The vasculopathy may be linked to TGF-beta and PDGF, while the diminution of lesional cutaneous blood vessels can be attributed to antiendothelial cell autoantibodies. The activation of the immune system is of paramount importance in the pathogenesis of systemic sclerosis. Antigen-activated T cells, activated infiltrate early, infiltrate the skin, and produce the profibrotic cytokine IL-4. B cells may contribute to fibrosis, as deficiency of CD19, a B-cell transduction molecule, results in decreased fibrosis in animal models.

source eMedicine....:)

·
Registered
487 Posts
bacteria is transmited via a tick bite in Grand Canyon area? that stains with wright's?.....i think its borrelia burgdorferi....:notsure:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts