USMLE Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the first aid in cardiovascular system pathology of the heart failure it states the foloowing and I quote
"Systolic dysfunction—reduced EF, *EDV; *contractility often 2° to ischemia/MI or dilated cardiomyopathy.
Diastolic dysfunction—preserved EF, normal EDV; *compliance often 2° to myocardial hypertrophy."

While everywhere else I see the EDV in diastolic dysfunction is decreased with the decreased ESV and that's how the EF is preserved!!!

and even in the systolic dysfunction the emphasis should be on the increased ESV which caused by weakend muscles leading to reduced EF , while in the first aid it's not mentioned at all !!!

Can Anyone guide me through this or discuss this with me !??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry I have to correct the symbols

in the first aid in cardiovascular system pathology of the heart failure it states the foloowing and I quote
"Systolic dysfunction—reduced EF, increased EDV; decreased contractility often 2° to ischemia/MI or dilated cardiomyopathy.
Diastolic dysfunction—preserved EF, normal EDV; decreased compliance often 2° to myocardial hypertrophy."

While everywhere else I see the EDV in diastolic dysfunction is decreased with the decreased ESV and that's how the EF is preserved!!!

and even in the systolic dysfunction the emphasis should be on the increased ESV which caused by weakend muscles leading to reduced EF , while in the first aid it's not mentioned at all !!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
"Systolic dysfunction-reduced EF, *EDV; *contractility often 2° to ischemia/MI or dilated cardiomyopathy.
Diastolic dysfunction-preserved EF, normal EDV; *compliance often 2° to myocardial hypertrophy."

to me what you say makes more sense however, information in FA is likely more Accurate, EDV stays normal but End-diastolic pressure for that volume increases with diastolic dysfunction

·
Registered
11 Posts
to me what you say makes more sense however, information in FA is likely more Accurate, EDV stays normal but End-diastolic pressure for that volume increases with diastolic dysfunction
Agreed, but often this is the first presentation of the disease that is mentioned in the OP.

Eventually global (systolic + diastolic) dysfunction will develop as the myocardium becomes less compliant and less able to contract - thus EF is reduced and EDV increases without an equal decrease in ESV.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You're other sources are more likely correct. In Diastolic failure there is a slight decrease in the EDV because it's mostly a filling defect due to decrease LV compliance. The main problem is not the volume problem, it's the pressure problem. There is a large increase in the LVEDP in Diastolic failure. In systolic failure we have more of a volume problem because the heart isn't pumping as well. So we have a decreased EF which leads to more blood being left back. This causes a large increase in the EDV and slight increase in the ESV.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts