USMLE Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gone through CK before step 1. Now I regret it so much. I spent 7 months studying and I had 92 (222).
A lot of the questions depend on you having even the slightest idea about step 1 material. Also studying in this order is much easier. I think even if somebody had the highest score in CK before he studied step 1, he could have done better if he did in the right order, especially for IMGs as we are not familiar with American basic science teaching.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
You are absolutely right!
Being an IMG like you I was thinking that doing CK first is a good way to kick start our journey as we must be better prepared for clinical questions than for the basic question that we already forgot.
But then when I started prepping for step 1 after finishing my CK, I just realized that many of CK questions I could have answered much better if were aware of the step 1 material that am reading right now.

There's a public myth among IMGs, specially old grads. They think that doing step 2 CK first is easier and better while I absolutely disagree right now.

Thanks for the nice post and let's spread the word to our IMG friends (Please Take Step 1 First).

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Also if you do step 1 before ck, it will make your Ck prep much easier as you will not need to review all the background science behind each disease.
also kaplan notes are designed in this manner, to take step1 then step2 if you do the reverse you will have trouble understanding their notes

·
Registered
50 Posts
sequence

the STEPS are steps. they allow u to take 1 and 2 in any order but step 1 is 1 and 2 is 2,
what i mean is in step 1 there is basic knowledge and
in step 2 there is generally- diagnosis management treatment or clinical knowledge
you cant do step 2 without basic knowledge. so better off to improve basic knowledge asked in steps and then further go to step 2 later. makes sense.
you can do part 2 first with bit of basic knowledge and still get good score but it will definitely help to have more knowledge relevant to the particular exams.

·
Registered
6 Posts
am IMG giving step2 first!

hello all,

I am IMG...did my mbbs way back!came to us wid husband...and has toddler to look after!everyone has advised me to give step2 before step1 as it is interesting..and it will get me back into the gear...so i have started wid step 2 ..it just been a month...now i am really confused...but still feel that i should give step2 first!!plz wish me luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
confused!

hi guys,
really interesting thread. I too have started revising for step 2 ck first. I thought it would be more like clinical stuff as its been a while since i have done pathophysiology, but i am confused as to what to do now? Is there a poll/ any more information on whether to take step 1 or step 2 ck first??? doesn't step one take longer to learn as well?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts