Votes: 11 13.1%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think taking Step 3 before starting residency has great advantages
here's why:

1. You'll never get time while you are resident, you won't have time to scratch your head.
  2. No time wast between finishing residency and your real money making job :).
  3. Improving your chances at the match.
  4. Step 3 is essentially a sophisticated Step 2 CK, it's wise taking them in one stretch before you forget all those great info in your head.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I voted for before residency
but to be honest with you that's not possible for many of us because of time limitations
most IMGs they come after finishing CK and step 1 and they arrive to do CS and then they want to match as soon as possible because of money shortage
so let's be realistic I don't think this is practical

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I prematched. But I would love to get rid of Step 3 before I start in July 2010
Wooow, congrats on the prematch! which specialty, what were your scores

Why are you going to do the prematch if you are matched already
Enjoy some time before you are killed in residency nights!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey guys,
When do you think would be the perfect timing for step 3?
I'm in a bit of dilemma right now, I got ECFMG certified already with 253 and 255 for 1 and CK.

I heard that if you want to apply through ERAS with step 3 you need a higher score than your previous two or else it will raise a red flag. The thing is, since I won't dedicate as much time for step 3, It will be rather hard for me to get higher score :-/

But, I also heard that some programs don't really care about your score, as long as you pass.

I personally would love to get an H1B visa (hence I'll need step 3), some of my friends suggested me to take the step 3 during the interview session, so that they won't put your step 3 score into consideration, but you can get your score before the date for ROL submission.

Sooo, what do you guys think the best timing for Step 3?
Before applying through ERAS? or
During interview session? or
After getting into residency?

Thank you!

·
Registered
52 Posts
got the same question..................anyone????

Reactions: inquirer

·
Registered
65 Posts
hey guys,
when do you think would be the perfect timing for step 3?
I'm in a bit of dilemma right now, i got ecfmg certified already with 253 and 255 for 1 and ck.

I heard that if you want to apply through eras with step 3 you need a higher score than your previous two or else it will raise a red flag. The thing is, since i won't dedicate as much time for step 3, it will be rather hard for me to get higher score :-/

but, i also heard that some programs don't really care about your score, as long as you pass.

I personally would love to get an h1b visa (hence i'll need step 3), some of my friends suggested me to take the step 3 during the interview session, so that they won't put your step 3 score into consideration, but you can get your score before the date for rol submission.

Sooo, what do you guys think the best timing for step 3?
Before applying through eras? Or
during interview session? Or
after getting into residency?

Thank you!
same question too please any help is going to be appreciated

·
Registered
24 Posts
can we take step 3 and step 2 cs together..
like if i am going to USA...why not give both tests together,...is it possible to get such dates , gap of 1 or 2 day at same centre...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts