Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators SERMs
- Tamoxifen and Raloxifen both are anti estrogenic on breast tissue so they are both useful for CA but Tamoxifen is more famous because Raloxifen was initially approved for osteoporosis only by the FDA.
- Tamoxifen and Raloxifen both are estrogenic on bone tissues (preventing bone loss) and can be used in postmenopausal osteoporosis. However, Tamoxifen is Anti-Estrogenic in premenopausal women (can itself cause osteoporosis) that's why Raloxifen is more famous for this indication.
- Tamoxifen is agonist on endometrial tissue (risk of cancer) while Raloxifen is antagonist on endometrial tissue (no risk of cancer).
- Both are agonist on liver tissue, therefore they may cause thrombosis
- Both are antagonist on brain tissue, therefore they may cause menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes.