The parents of a 15-year-old female patient are very worried about their daughter's crush on a female figure-skating celebrity. They don't want to repress her burgeoning sexuality, but they are wary of allowing her to choose a path that they feel will set her against society. You should advise them that:
- Adolescence is associated with many crises of identity, and they should help their daughter choose the path that will further her life-goals.
- Adolescence is associated with many crises of identity, and they should let their daughter find her own way.
- Heterosexual and homosexual crushes are common at this age and are not necessarily predictive of future sexual orientation.
- Homosexual crushes are common at this age and will not define an adolescent's sexuality unless accompanied by homosexual experiences.
- Sexual preference is possibly partly genetic, and is probably fixed by the onset of adolescence.