USMLE Forums banner
1 - 5 of 15 Posts

· Registered
487 Posts
C) Releasing matrix metalloproteinases, which act on the mineral components of the bone.

My Ans is C) Releasing matrix metalloproteinases, which act on the mineral components of the bone.

Osteoclast cell secretes acid to dissolve the bone mineral, and enzymes (metalloproteinases) to digest the collagen of the bone matrix. metalloproteinases found in the osteoclast lysosomes.

· Registered
487 Posts
Wow... you just had explained the entire process that occurs during the osteoclast decalcification. What I know about osteoclast demineralization is that osteoclast cell releases many different catabolic enzymes to degrade bone matrix and dissolves the bone minerals. The qn is particularly asking you to identify the ans choice that explains the cause of bone matrix decalcification not the demineralization.

· Registered
487 Posts
It's funny - I wrote this question for class last year, and when I opened it up yesterday my eyes jumped to "metalloproteases", and I thought "oh, C"... and then I looked at the answer (which I had written) and then back at the question and thought, "Oh, yeah.." :redcheeks;
Are you serious!!!! man! I always tell myself to go for the first choice no matter what happens, second choice always wrong for me. So, when I looked at the choices at first, "C" was clicked on my mind, then I went on net to confirm it and stated to read some articles. Came back to the qn and read it once more, option "B" looked right to me, but I didn't trust myself. I stubbornly sticked with my first choice stupid "metalloproteases", sad ....:toosad:

1 - 5 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.