USMLE Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
I have a question
when can we say that there is development delay in a child??
I mean how many gap years should it be there to say there is a development delay??

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
It's not the gap in years or months. It's the percentile.

If 95% of children are able to sit by age 9 months then if your child is not sitting he's considered delayed.

Also, very important, don't take isolated delays, take it globally. I mean the child should be delayed in all areas of motor development to be recognized as being delayed in motor development.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so if they said that the child cant sit and he is 11 months old...is he considered delayed ??

·
Registered
145 Posts
so if they said that the child cant sit and he is 11 months old...is he considered delayed ??
i think yes
it should sit around 6 months unsupported

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
If this is a mere fact that they gave you then yes the child is delayed. But as Hokolesqua mentioned, it should be interpreted within the context of the whole case, if they also mention that everything is normal in that child (just the sitting is delayed) then you should be cautious in labeling that child as delayed, otherwise, yes most children should be able to sit by age 7-9 months.

·
Registered
919 Posts
If this is a mere fact that they gave you then yes the child is delayed. But as Hokolesqua mentioned, it should be interpreted within the context of the whole case, if they also mention that everything is normal in that child (just the sitting is delayed) then you should be cautious in labeling that child as delayed, otherwise, yes most children should be able to sit by age 7-9 months.
say a child at age 23months.. has reached all other areas of dev milestones EXCEPT she cannot walk, run or jump and can only stand assisted or holding on to something... she has gross motor dev delay but not overall growth dev delay rite? so the management of this patient would be rehabilitation to assist with the walking or further lab tests for muscle weakness perhaps (atrophy of muscle was not mentioned)???:eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts