USMLE Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think? With this new health care bill hopefully there will be a higher demand for physicians which means increased residency slots available in the near future.

Here is an excerpt from CNN news

"Last year, the American Academy of Family Physicians predicted a shortfall of 40,000 primary care doctors, and that was before the signing of the health care bill. That will put another 32 million people into the system -- with a promise of free preventive care -- and insurance to pay for regular doctor visits. Some physicians have expressed concern about this. Patients could see increased wait times, as in Massachusetts, where since "RomneyCare" went into effect, residents wait an 10 extra days to see the doctor. But others say the bill will help create more community health centers, so primary care can happen at these centers instead of expensive emergency rooms."

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know Mary, I don't think the US healthcare system will reach the point of social medicine to the extent it is in Europe. I personally lived in Europe for a number of years and even as a foreigner there I was able to get medical services just like its citizens, and guess what, free or pennies on the dollar.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.