USMLE Forums banner

what is the most difficult USMLE step 1 subject to cram?

• Gross Anatomy

Votes: 20 4.5%
  • Neuroanatomy

Votes: 41 9.1%
  • Histology

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • Embryology

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Biochemistry

Votes: 103 22.9%
  • Molecular Biology

Votes: 35 7.8%
  • Immunology

Votes: 27 6.0%
  • Medical Genetics

Votes: 24 5.3%
  • Physiology

Votes: 23 5.1%
  • Pathology

Votes: 48 10.7%
  • Pharmacology

Votes: 35 7.8%
  • Behavioral Sciences

Votes: 25 5.6%
  • Statistics & Epidemiology

Votes: 27 6.0%
  • Microbiology

Votes: 33 7.3%
  • Medicolegal and Ethics

Votes: 9 2.0%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I find pharmacology with all those un memorizable drugs and side effects is the most difficult and frustrating portion of this shear huge exam

I just can't understand why we should know all this , there is a pharmacology college right!

·
Registered
586 Posts
immunology the most difficult with all those CDs and receptors
by the way, mastering immunology will make the difference in step 1 score

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anybody have any statistics on which subject do most test-takers get wrong for?
Wow, it would be great if we find such a statistics

I think the qbank providers can provide such statistics, like for example UWorld should know how many students got their microbiology questions correct?

As for the NBME, I think they will never release such information

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wow, it would be great if we find such a statistics

I think the qbank providers can provide such statistics, like for example UWorld should know how many students got their microbiology questions correct?

As for the NBME, I think they will never release such information
Yes that feature will be really good. :) Just more stats on everything. Maybe also including things like : Whats the average time people take to complete a particular question. Then if you think that question is hard to you and you took very long to answer it, you can also see how fast other people answer that question and get it right.

·
Registered
58 Posts
immunology is not to be taken lightly. its complex, and needs to be studied ( read memorized : cytokines, markers etc) thoroughly to be able to get the correct answers.

kaplan is very good. it has the required details, and yet is concise. that plus UW is just about all you need to be good at immuno.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What about Pathology

I have heard that Pathology is the most difficult subject to cram, from almost everyone who has sat the USMLE, I'm surprised to see it is Immuno. I guess that means I should spend more time on it, with Regards to Pathology, does anyone have any recommendations for a Good Pathophysiology book for the USMLE step 1. I haven't been able to get my hands on one.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have heard that Pathology is the most difficult subject to cram, from almost everyone who has sat the USMLE, I'm surprised to see it is Immuno. I guess that means I should spend more time on it, with Regards to Pathology, does anyone have any recommendations for a Good Pathophysiology book for the USMLE step 1. I haven't been able to get my hands on one.
I think Goljan or BRS are the usual ones for pathology review. But for pathophysiology, I used Lilly's Pathophysiology for Heart Disease for my cardiology. Just for understanding, too detailed for board review actually.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I find pharma the toughest as it entirely depends on memorization!! Although Kaplan videos and lecture notes really help make a difference!

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know about you.
But for me I really found immunology the most difficult of all.
It's impossible to memorize all those CD molecules and to understand the complicated interrelated connections and effects of the various component of the immune system.
Immunology sucks :toosad:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just took my exam today and without doubt pharmacology was the most difficult - in fact the only difficult subject:confused:.

They keep coming up with all sorts of confusing graphs.. and no matter how strong your pharma is, the tendency for mistakes is always so high

·
Registered
23 Posts
scared

I just took my exam today and without doubt pharmacology was the most difficult - in fact the only difficult subject:confused:.

They keep coming up with all sorts of confusing graphs.. and no matter how strong your pharma is, the tendency for mistakes is always so high
i m already so scared...abou pharma n ur post made me even more scared..:( god help me...jus coz of pharma i have decided to give step 2 first

1 - 20 of 36 Posts