USMLE Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear usmle forums friends,
I wish everything is going well.
I am an IMG without visa, I am planning to apply for the IM 2015 match, as I am almost done with Step 1,2 CS/CK, I will have time next year to take Step 3 before september 15th.
Is it a good idea to take Step 3 before applying?
Am I going to be a stronger applicant if I take Step 3?
Or should I just take Step 3 after I apply?

What do you think PDs think about it?

Any help will be helpful.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
If you have enough time for prep and you are sure you will pass it then do it as it will help.

But remember if you fail it might hurt you.

-

·
Registered
145 Posts
It doesn't matter if you take it or not. Nobody really considers it except a handful of Ny programs as a criteria for offering IMGs interviews. What would be more useful and much more important is USCE, research etc. If you can use the time to obtain these things and score a couple of nice LoRs they will go a long way, certainly more than step3.

·
Registered
70 Posts
take step , it will help your application if you pass it on 1st attempt and you get a decent score at least

it will make your application stand out from the rest with similar step 1 and 2 ck scores as you but who haven't completed step 3 yet.

so i suggest take it but make sure you pass it 1st attempt and aim for a decent/high score.

for your info, the average score for step 3 among AMGs is lower as compared to step 2ck and step 1, which means it is a more difficult test compared to the first 2 usmle steps. the average score of AMGs for step 3 during my time is 218 (jan 2013). average scores of AMGs for step 2ck was about 230 and for step 1 was 220 for year 2012 when I took these 2 exams.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts