USMLE Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just got home from my exam about 3 hours ago.
My exam was scheduled for 10 AM but I showed up at 9 AM and they let me start around 9:15 AM. I feel that the exam was fair and was comparable to Kaplan Qbank.

The breakdown of my exam was as follows (and I was a bit surprised):
40% path, 20% physiology, 15% biochem/genetics/molecular biology and the rest was an even mixture of neuro, behavior/biostats, pharm, immuno, micro. I would say that i had about 15-20 pharm questions, 20 microbio, 25 neuro, about 15 immuno, 10 embryo and 20 behavioral.
I was a bit surprised about the pathology, because mostly everyone I have talked to said that most of the exam was pathology. There was more physio than I expected, KNOW YOUR ENDOCRINE PHYSIOLOGY and HOW HORMONES WORK!

Also there were your typical arrow questions. With biochem I had quite a few questions on enzymes and key steps in the pathways, as well as vitamin questions, and about 7 genetics questions. With regards to molecular biology I was asked questions on collagen synthesis, identifying where steps in pathways occur on a picture of a cell, and also some questions on the biochemistry of hematological disorders (i.e. sickle cell and B-thal). Also I had about 3 questions on the glycogen/lysosomal storage diseases.

I also had LOTS OF IMAGES! For each block of 46 questions, I would say I had 6 images for every 46 questions so about 40 images on the whole test! The images were not necessary to answer many of the questions. For neuro I had 2 images of an epidural hematoma, 1 image of a brain stem and being able to Identify a Cranial Nerve, and an image of the Anterior cerebral artery and being able to identify what an occlusion would due (contra leg paralysis)

For pharm the questions were straightforward, also for micro i felt the questions were fairly easy. embryo wasn't too bad either. Anatomy was mainly focusing on the brachial plexus (about 5 questions), lower limb, and GI blood supply.

Immuno questions were more vague, and I felt there were a bit more difficult. know ur CD markers and all of your immunodeficiencies.

I had 3 heart sounds, and the stems didn't help much and the sounds were tough, lol...so i took a best guess.

I had 3 calculations: Loading Dose, Filtration Fraction, Cardiac Output using Fick's Principle.

Some questions were only about 8 words long, and some questions were the entire screen along with tables of blood data and gases.

For my preparation I used the entire Kaplan series and FA. I say Kaplan is absolutely necessary for BIOCHEM and PHYSIOLOGY. I also used Kaplan Qbank, U world, and the free 150 questions. The exam is NOT AS HARD AS U WORLD, DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED...I am usually good at pharm and on UWORLD I FELT THE QUESTIONS WERE SOO HARD, so please don't get discouraged by UWORLD, Kaplan Qbank was a closer estimate to how the real exam is.

I know a lot of you have questions, so please feel free to ask them, and I will try to respond as soon as I can.

Finally, I would like to personally thank all of the fellow users, especially: Haisook, Seetal, ArunJose, Ashishkabir, Faith, LEE USMLE and the other moderators. If there is anyone else whom I forgot, I do apologize and would like to thank everyone. I hope that the exam went OK, It was not impossible and it was doable. I felt some questions were very simple and some were utterly hard. But overall I am feeling good. I realized I made 5 stupid mistakes, and for each block I counted about 10 questions I was unsure about, so If anyone knows if this is good or bad, lemme know LOL.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Congratulations for finishing the fist step towards residency :) n that is a feat post I'm planing on taking my exam in feb n I just started doing questions n I feel like I donno nythong even though I studies all subjects twice ....is this normal ? As I do questions will I pick up ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations for finishing the fist step towards residency :) n that is a feat post I'm planing on taking my exam in feb n I just started doing questions n I feel like I donno nythong even though I studies all subjects twice ....is this normal ? As I do questions will I pick up ?
Thanks!! its normal to feel like you dont know stuff, the best thing to do is to continue doing questions and reading. dont get discouraged, you still have a lot of time. it will pick up. good luck.

·
Registered
109 Posts
nbme?

hi..congrats on finishing step1.. what about nbmes? which ones did u do? and how is kaplan patho? i had heard Goljan is absolutely essential.. do u think so?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Way to go!!!! You took it and can have some down time. Don't let the stupid ones get you down to much, everyone does that. You'll pass it, you put in the time and effort.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey

hi..congrats on finishing step1.. what about nbmes? which ones did u do? and how is kaplan patho? i had heard goljan is absolutely essential.. do u think so?
I did NBME 7 and i got 30 wrong on that one. Kaplan path is great, I used kaplan path and FA path for my studying. I didnt use goljan though. We will see if it was enough after i get my score :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
What does 30 wrong mean?

I did NBME 7 and i got 30 wrong on that one. Kaplan path is great, I used kaplan path and FA path for my studying. I didnt use goljan though. We will see if it was enough after i get my score :)
First of all CONGRATS on accomplishing a big step towards your goal of becoming a doctor. I just want to know what does 30 wrong equal? Like what was your NBME score, and the predicted step 1 score?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats on ur test and thanks a lot for elaborating on ur test...

u mentioned u have done Kaplan series.....can u please tell which year? the 2010 ones or the older ones? and did u take the Kaplan coaching or just read the notes which are available in the market? thanks in advance and best of luck for the result...

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
This is the second member in a very short time who says that Kaplan Qbank is closer to the exam than USMLE World. There seems to be a shift in the game because before everybody was saying UW.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hello everyone, I just got home from my exam about 3 hours ago......lemme know LOL.
wow thank u so much mpz013 u made my day. glad I could be of little help to u.
hope u are partying like crazy for next few days before battle for step 2 begins.
wish u the very best of score. make our forum proud. :happy::happy:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Congratulations mpz013 on taking the exam! It looks like it was a difficult exam, at least from the perspective that you had more genetics/molecular biology. But it seems you did well, and your NBME7 score was good too (mine also 28 mistakes), so I think we'll do fine! :))

Forget all about the exam now and just relax a few days. You deserve it. :happy:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congrats on giving the step 1 exam and best of luck for the result....I would like to know how much time did you spent on preparing exclusively for the exam...also when did you start using Qbank?? as in after you have read a chapter you started working on MCQs for it right away or first you completed the whole subject before attempting the questions?

·
Registered
919 Posts
If u are sure that u got at least 10 wrong in every block then u re in good shape. I thought I had at least 15 wrong from every block. I'm still waiting for my results. but its good that u feel great after ur exam. I felt my exam was closer to kaplan too (maybe a bit more difficult) and perhaps same as UW. but definitely easier than NBME 7. NBME 7 is quite new n may I say, not very predictive. arunjose got 90 for NBME 7 but 99 for the real exam (so did his friend).

It's nice that u are confident. I came out from the exam wondering how would I react if I failed. :eek: I'm still waiting for my results (should be today but how late does it take to come???) n at this point I can't remember how I ever felt that it was OK at all!!!! I just wanna see a pass, then a 219+++.... :eek:

Is it possible for the paper to come at night because it's not yet 9 AM Eastern time here (Malaysia)?? everytime my dog barks, I find myself looking out if the DHL or fedEx guy is here. how will it come? DHL or FedEx??

·
Registered
161 Posts
if u are sure that u got at least 10 wrong in every block then u re in good shape. i tot i had at least 15 wrong from every block. im still waiting for my results. but its good that u feel great after ur exam. i felt my exam was closer to kaplan too (maybe a bit more difficult) and perhaps same as UW. but definitely easier than NBME 7. NBME 7 is quite new n may i say, not very predictive. arunjose got 90 for NBME 7 but 99 for the real exam (so did his friend).

its nice that u are confident. i came out from the exam wondering how would i react if i failed. :eek: im still waiting for my results (should be today but how late does it take to come???) n at this point i cant remember how i ever felt that it was ok at all!!!! i just wanna see a pass, then a 219+++.... :eek:

is it possible for the paper to come at night because its not yet 9am Eastern time here (Malaysia)?? everytime my dog barks, i find myself looking out if the DHL or fedEx guy is here. how will it come? DHL or FedEx??
@seetal-he he you are as paranoid as me :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats on ur test and thanks a lot for elaborating on ur test...

u mentioned u have done Kaplan series.....can u please tell which year? the 2010 ones or the older ones? and did u take the Kaplan coaching or just read the notes which are available in the market? thanks in advance and best of luck for the result...
I used the green books, so i think they are 2010, not the new ones that were released this year that are in color, but the green ones without color pages. I had the Kaplan online course with the Qbank and the videos.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks again

oww thank u so much mpz013 u made my day.glad i could be of lil help to u.hope u are partying like crazy for next few days before battle for step 2 begins.wish u the very best of score.make our forum proud. :happy::happy:
thanks again faith, we need to help each other in this battle ;) when is your exam? coming up soon right? GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks!

Congratulations mpz013 on taking the exam! It looks like it was a difficult exam, at least from the perspective that you had more genetics/molecular biology. But it seems you did well, and your NBME7 score was good too (mine also 28 mistakes), so I think we'll do fine! :))

Forget all about the exam now and just relax a few days. You deserve it. :happy:
thanks alot Haisook, I hope we both do well!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey

congrats on giving the step 1 exam and best of luck for the result....i would like to know how much time did you spent on preparing exclusively for the exam...also when did you start using Qbank?? as in after you have read a chapter you started working on MCQs for it right away or first you completed the whole subject before attempting the questions?
I spent 3 months studying about 10 hours a day for the exam, I went to Med school overseas and during my last semester I also studied there for 2 months but I also had classes, when i came home in August until Now i have been studying. I did the qbanks about 2 months into my studies. In the beginning I did them subject based, but once I got home I did random blocks. I did kaplan qbank first, then U world for 1 month.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dont worry

if u are sure that u got at least 10 wrong in every block then u re in good shape. i tot i had at least 15 wrong from every block. I'm still waiting for my results. but its good that u feel great after ur exam. i felt my exam was closer to kaplan too (maybe a bit more difficult) and perhaps same as UW. but definitely easier than NBME 7. NBME 7 is quite new n may i say, not very predictive. arunjose got 90 for NBME 7 but 99 for the real exam (so did his friend).

its nice that u are confident. i came out from the exam wondering how would i react if i failed. :eek: im still waiting for my results (should be today but how late does it take to come???) n at this point i cant remember how i ever felt that it was ok at all!!!! i just wanna see a pass, then a 219+++.... :eek:

is it possible for the paper to come at night because its not yet 9am Eastern time here (Malaysia)?? everytime my dog barks, i find myself looking out if the DHL or fedEx guy is here. how will it come? DHL or FedEx??
Im sure you are gonna do great! im not sure when the results come I have heard before 10am? Let me know how it goes because im sure you destroyed it!! Best of Luck :) thanks for all of your support.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts