USMLE Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took the step 1 yesterday. Have to say, that I feel horrible coming out. There were many questions that I had no idea or was unsure about, guessed on more questions than I would've wanted! I was getting around 220s on my nbme's...but I'm dreading my score and future now :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just took the step 1 yesterday. Have to say, that I feel horrible coming out. There were many questions that I had no idea or was unsure about, guessed on more questions than I would've wanted! I was getting around 220s on my nbme's...but I'm dreading my score and future now :(
hey i completely understand what you are going through. took mine a few days before you and should be getting my score in 2 wednesdays.
I felt horrible and guessed a lot too. I also had an issue with time. I was able to answer all but only had for eg. ~2 min to read 4-5 qs. Made silly mistakes due to that. Just super upset and freaking out. We cant do anything now but i hope we do much better than we think.
Good luck and try to enjoy your time off...try to suppress suppress suppress! (not working on my end) ha!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, I feel your pain too. Just took the beast yesterday as well and didn't feel good about it either. Marked a ton of questions as I was going through the blocks and had to make educated guesses on a lot of them. Feeling nervous about the results too. Hopefully we all did fine and did better than we thought. Also do you guys know what the minimum percent we need to pass is? Hate asking a question like this but after yesterday it's been racing through my mind. Thanks guys and all the best!

·
Registered
53 Posts
It is completely understandable for all 3 of you to be concerned. Everyone feels nervous after writing the step and feel as if they've failed the exam. That is absolutely normal so best not to be worried. Since it is based on how other people perform that day it is a weighted score and you should never live in the past since the exam is over with.

SGUer4life: I am not aware of any certain % to pass but I'm sure other members here can help you out. Don't want to give you false information.

I think it's fair to say that what you scored consistently on your forms will be the score you get on your step 1 exam result.

Best advice I could give you all 3 of you is to take a nice long vacation and get your mind off it. It's done and regardless of the outcome, you've all accomplished a great feat. Be proud of yourself.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey guys, I feel your pain too. Just took the beast yesterday as well and didn't feel good about it either. Marked a ton of questions as I was going through the blocks and had to make educated guesses on a lot of them. Feeling nervous about the results too. Hopefully we all did fine and did better than we thought. Also do you guys know what the minimum percent we need to pass is? Hate asking a question like this but after yesterday it's been racing through my mind. Thanks guys and all the best!
I heard 208 is a pass score now in the new scoring system... How did the questions u saw on exam relate to u world and nbmes ? U an img ?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I heard 208 is a pass score now in the new scoring system... How did the questions u saw on exam relate to u world and nbmes ? U an img ?
Please stop spreading the panic. According to official website, the passing score HAVEN'T changed. The number of questions did, though. They say that the scores after the change will be comparable to scores before. The question stems are supposedly longer. (Plus, question pool is updated every year. It's nothing new.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took my exam a week ago. There are some blocks (2-3) with direct questions and only say 3-4 ones I am not sure. They tested heavily on genetics for that particular test I was seating. I know I got about and average 5-6 questions wrong per block... Can anybody tell me what could probably be my score?

PM me if you are interested to know more.
Cheers and all the best!

·
Registered
19 Posts
post may 11 step 1

Yes unfortunately as I have suspected we are all surprised how these new questions look nothing like UW... question stems were so long and they seemed too advanced basic science in a few cases of straight forward questions. The passing score HAS increased compared to years before, you all will receive it in your score report from ECFMG, it is 192 now.
I was uncertain about many of the answers too and I knew it was not a good sign. I guess we took too many tests to still confuse the feeling of passing with 230 with failing a test, so those of us who claim they felt that way simply lie!
nevertheless good luck everyone

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did anyone have trouble with timing on their exam? I wasn't able to read 10-15 questions and just had to mark C and move on :/

Just took it a few days ago like you guys. I definitely didn't feel prepared for it, even after months of prep.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did anyone have trouble with timing on their exam? I wasn't able to read 10-15 questions and just had to mark C and move on :/

Just took it a few days ago like you guys. I definitely didn't feel prepared for it, even after months of prep.
I felt the exact same way. I had to guess/read quick and pick a random choice for many blocks towards the end. I feel horrible as well. feels like i failed :(
The worst part is those questions ended up being easy ones too!
Have you counted how many you remembered or got wrong? It is pure torture remembering new qyuestions everyday

·
Registered
22 Posts
same problem here

I felt the exact same way. I had to guess/read quick and pick a random choice for many blocks towards the end. I feel horrible as well. feels like i failed :(
The worst part is those questions ended up being easy ones too!
Have you counted how many you remembered or got wrong? It is pure torture remembering new qyuestions everyday

·
Registered
19 Posts

The same thing happened to me, I ended up reading answers first and if they sounded very odd I just skipped to the next question, but I couldn't get to the end of at least 3 blocks, my screen was more like a news paper page! I had to scroll down to get to the bottom of each question! That was silly!!! This was not supposed to be all clinical scenarios! Its funny I was thinking how US medical students are supposed to know these stuff if they haven't started their rotations when they supposedly take step 1!!!
Honestly I had to check twice to make sure I registered for step 1 , and not 2, after I came back from the test!

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey iam sure everybody feels the way you guys feel after the test. dont beat yourselves up. i wanted to ask though. what would you all have done differently to prepare for the exam?
Do a lot of questions topic wise after first read. Don't waste too much time rereading first aid. Questions will help you know which facts/ concepts you haven't mastered. My humble opinion.

·
Registered
160 Posts
hey iam sure everybody feels the way you guys feel after the test. dont beat yourselves up. i wanted to ask though. what would you all have done differently to prepare for the exam?
Do a lot of questions topic wise after first read. Don't waste too much time rereading first aid. Questions will help you know which facts/ concepts you haven't mastered. My humble opinion.
Thank you very much for answering my question :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
That is exactly what I did... didn't work! First aid doesn't cover even half of these new questions... just like what others have mentioned there were many questions on things you never heard in your life! Unless you have a Phd in basic science.
the combination of UWorld and first Aid mastering is not gonna do it. If anyone have a different strategy please do share!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.