USMLE Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am planning to do electives in summer, after I got the Transcript from my university, I noticed that they mention my grandfather name.

The problem is that my U.S Passport does not contain grandfather name, just my name, father name & family name.

In addition to that, few weeks ago, I registered in The ECFMG & got ECFMG number in order to take CS exam after electives.
My ECFMG name is the same as my U.S passport name
(I did not register for the exam yet, I got the ECFMG number only.)

I fear that I will have problems in future; in exams & verification process since my name in ECFMG is the same as my passport but my school transcript contains additional "grandfather's name"

Please help me!:eek:

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Contact your medical school

You should contact your medical school and ask them to change your name to match exactly your ECFMG and US passport name.

If they refuse. Ask them to give you a document certifying that you are the same person holding the same names and get it signed by a med school official, notarize it, and send it to ECFMG.

For more examples read the threads listed here
Threads tagged with name problem

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for reply,

Unfortunately, my school refused, they told me that no Transcript without grandfather name. As you know, U.S passport does not contain Grandfather name.

I want to apply for CS but I will be still a student. Do ECFMG requests Transcript even if I am student ?

So must I do the process you told me above?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Thank you for reply,

Unfortunately, my school refused, they told me that no Transcript without grandfather name. As you know, U.S passport does not contain Grandfather name.

I want to apply for CS but I will be still a student. Do ECFMG requests Transcript even if I am student ?

So must I do the process you told me above?
Yes. You have to do it. Because ultimately when you graduate you have to send them the transcript and you will then have problems.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got this from ECFMG :

Please be advised that the presence or omission of your middle name will not pose as a discrepancy in your application
So do they consider my grandfather name is a part of middle name?

My name in U.S passport & ECFMG records match exactly:

As : Surname : (My family Name)
Given Name : ( My name & my father's name)

But my name in the transcript :

Given Name (me & my father) Grandfather name Surname (my family)

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I got this from ECFMG :

So do they consider my grandfather name is a part of middle name?

My name in U.S passport & ECFMG records match exactly:

As : Surname : (My family Name)
Given Name : ( My name & my father's name)

But my name in the transcript :

Given Name (me & my father) Grandfather name Surname (my family)
Yes. you will have problems if your transcript does not mention which is which. I mean if it does not mention your last name separately then the ECFMG may consider your grandfather name is part of your last name (not middle name).
Therefore, you need a document from your college explaining the issue to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
169 Posts
now i want to register at ECFMG but i want to check what is my name look like in the transcript although i am still a student

can i do that where i go and ask for it to check what is the name?

i know that i should ask someone here but you already experience that

thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts