USMLE Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On pg 270 of MTB-CK second edition for hepatitis C it says "to treat chronic hep C use a combination of interferon, ribavirin, and either telaprevir or boceprevir."

Then in the box on the side of the page it says "only acute hep c is treated"

I am confused, can someone clear this up for me please?

·
Registered
195 Posts
He means to say; off all causes of acute infectious hepatitis, only hep c is treated. Others resolve on their own.

On pg 270 of MTB-CK second edition for hepatitis C it says "to treat chronic hep C use a combination of interferon, ribavirin, and either telaprevir or boceprevir."

Then in the box on the side of the page it says "only acute hep c is treated"

I am confused, can someone clear this up for me please?

·
Registered
172 Posts
for treatment of hep C according to u world,

You give it when the
1)person is above 18
2)willing for treatment
3)not sever hepatic failure, ie, INR, creat, bilirubin less than 1.5. albumin greater than 3.4
4)liver biopsy shows fibrosis ( always do a liver biopsy before you start treatment to check for stage and how effective the treatment will be)
5) no c/i like, drug user, sever dep or alcoholic
6) HCV Rna detected

·
Registered
58 Posts
for treatment of hep C according to u world,

You give it when the
1)person is above 18
2)willing for treatment
3)not sever hepatic failure, ie, INR, creat, bilirubin less than 1.5. albumin greater than 3.4
4)liver biopsy shows fibrosis ( always do a liver biopsy before you start treatment to check for stage and how effective the treatment will be)
5) no c/i like, drug user, sever dep or alcoholic
6) HCV Rna detected
The treatment you describe is for chronic Hep C. In acute Hep C none of those except HCV RNA would be present. He was asking about acute vs chronic HepC. So acute is treated whenever you know for sure that patient contracted Hep C less than 6 months ago and HCV RNA detected (honestly I doubt USMLE will have question like that as it is very rare to have patient with acute Hep C).

Oh and update about treatment, currently FDA approved sofosbuvir, so they might updated their pool of questions with new drugs too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.