USMLE Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys i want to start USMLE world q bank .....i am confused how to start .....shall i do subject wise n then random if that is the case wont the questions be repated when i do random blocks ??? ... or shall i do the radom blocks from the beginin ???? need suggestion

·
Registered
752 Posts
I suggest you do it in unused random (mixed) mode. That's how it's gonna be in the exam. Also, you wouldn't want to run out of questions on a certain subject by the end of your UW. Besides, it's less boring, I think. Doing 46 biochemistry questions in a row must be really annoying..!

I suggest you start with untimed random blocks a couple of times till you get a hang of the interface. Then do it unused timed random all the way till the end.

·
Registered
216 Posts
This is a very good question I'm worried about this too would be a great help if someone could guide me too, I started out random (untimed) but soon realized that if I haven't covered the material I'm not giving it my full, so then I started doing System wise, since i'm studying system wise, i'm doing the questions system wise, lets say if i covered CVS anat, phys, path, pharm etc....I finish whole CVS and then go do CVS questions (mixed)....and so on an so forth...

Now obviously I'll have enough questions left over if I do per say 50 questions per system, and once I go through all the systems then I can do total Random systems (mixed questions from all systems)....is this a good idea? or am I going to shoot myself in the foot? considering I still have 3 months till my exam.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Random

This is a very good question I'm worried about this too would be a great help if someone could guide me too, I started out random (untimed) but soon realized that if I haven't covered the material I'm not giving it my full, so then I started doing System wise, since i'm studying system wise, i'm doing the questions system wise, lets say if i covered CVS anat, phys, path, pharm etc....I finish whole CVS and then go do CVS questions (mixed)....and so on an so forth...

Now obviously I'll have enough questions left over if I do per say 50 questions per system, and once I go through all the systems then I can do total Random systems (mixed questions from all systems)....is this a good idea? or am I going to shoot myself in the foot? considering I still have 3 months till my exam.
From what I've heard from people getting 99 is to do random since the beggining. Why????? Because that's how the real exam is and also you review everyday a little bit of everything. I do one block a day but I reviewed very good and is giving me good results.:happy:

·
Registered
557 Posts
If you have reviewed all the material at least once before, then yes it makes sense to do random timed blocks. However, I think that if you haven't reviewed the material then doing it random isn't as efficient. I started out random, but I soon realized that I din't really grasp the explanations of many of them because I hadn't reviewed the concept and didn't understand it. To me if makes much more sense to review the topic, then use Qbank to test my understanding of that system. After I finish Kaplan Qbank and my first review, I'll be ready to start UWorld timed and random.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thx for ur suggestion evryone :) ....first i will try doing random n see how am i doing if i do good i will continue with random or els will try subject wise do u guys think this is efficient way ?

·
Registered
151 Posts
uworld....why random-mixed and not subject wise???

Hello everyone :)

Just wondering why everyone says its better to do uw random and timed rather than subject wise? n what effect does subject wise instead of random timed mode have on the cumulative score?
:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts