USMLE Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about you but for me I always leave many many questions marked when I do any block be it UW or Kaplan or even silly Score95 ones.

I am always unsure whether I really picked the correct answer or the wrong answer, the story extends to the exam day itself :(

I've seen people swearing that they'll fail yet they scored in nineties and on the other hand I've seen others taken by a surprise when their fail scores arrive in their in-boxes.

You often get out from the block wondering whether you aced 90% of them or you outstandingly failed 90% of them!

This is really amazing, not from the perspective of our brains but certainly from the perspective of the question maker. They are so good in rendering us puzzled all the time.

But you know what, I think this is exactly the same scenario in real life. You'll often treat your patients and there's always a voice inside you asking am I doing right!

Post your thoughts about this ...

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
You are absolutely right, dr. Syndromic. USMLE, especially Step 1, is based on a whole philosophy of exam-taking. A philosophy that I, at least, as an IMG, was not used to until I got into it. It urges the exam taker to act as a doctor, speaking on mental grounds. You have to take acute decisions, precise courses of action and not think it over -- exactly how you described we are supposed to act as future care providers & decision makers.

What we call "clinical sensorium" is indeed a virtue that is well developed during our student years and keeps evolving throughout our professional life; but in reality it is a little sparkle smoldering in our minds & hearts from the very beginning of our lives...;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts