USMLE Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An unconscious 47-year-old man is brought to the accident unit 30 minutes after a road traffic accident. He has sustained multiple fractures of the femur. The radial pulse rate is 130/min, with a systolic pressure of 60 mm Hg and a diastolic pressure of 30 mm Hg. His skin is cold and pale.
Which one of the following is the best action as initial management?
A. CT scan of the femurHead injury
B. IV line and rapid transfusion of fluid
C. MRI of the femur
D. Intravenous administration of pethidine for pain relief
E. Intravenous prophylactic antibiotics

·
Registered
55 Posts

infusing isotonic saline rapidly ..... will it cause pontine myelinolysis ? i think so ?

but still this is correct option

·
Registered
220 Posts

infusing isotonic saline rapidly ..... will it cause pontine myelinolysis ? i think so ?

but still this is correct option
Pontine myelinolysis is a complication of rapid correction of hyponatremia with hypertonic fluids. Isotonic fluids don't cause myelinolysis.

I will go with B. Our primary concern is rapid IV fluid resuscitation in this hemodynamically unstable patient.

·
Registered
3 Posts
don1

An unconscious 47-year-old man is brought to the accident unit 30 minutes after a road traffic accident. He has sustained multiple fractures of the femur. The radial pulse rate is 130/min, with a systolic pressure of 60 mm Hg and a diastolic pressure of 30 mm Hg. His skin is cold and pale.
Which one of the following is the best action as initial management?
A. CT scan of the femurHead injury
C. MRI of the femur
D. Intravenous administration of pethidine for pain relief
E. Intravenous prophylactic antibiotics
B--u wana save him, dont u?:)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah id go with B too. thanks guys. just confirming. i didnt have the answer to this question.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts