USMLE Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 43-year-old right-handed man came to see his physician because of unusual episodes. Two weeks ago, when he awoke from sleep, he experienced an indescribable unpleasant odor, nausea, and a panicky, fearful sensation. That lasted for 2 to 3 minutes, after which he felt very tired and went back to sleep. The last few days, he experienced those episodes approximately three times during the day. The episodes were followed by decreased responsiveness and slow, inappropriate speech, which lasted for a few minutes. Afterward, he felt very tired. Where in the brain is most likely the dysfunction?

A. Amygdala and medial temporal lobe
B. Ascending arousal system of the midbrain
C. Frontal lobe
D. Postcentral gyrus
E. Thalamus

·
Registered
216 Posts
hmmmm, another good question!

A) I'd go with the amygdala and medial temporal also, because of the speech patterns, slow responsiveness (auditory cortex or Wernicke's area) and hyperemotions, but I still can't explain the Parosmia?!?!?! (temporal epilepsy? lol)

·
Registered
752 Posts
By exclusion, it's choice A, but I don't know the why or how. :eek:

Where do you get those questions, khushboo?! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
89 Posts
geez it's a tough one, but I'm going with choice A mainly because amygdala is responsible for emotions, and the pt was experiencing speech problems which would mean the temporal lobe was involved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts