USMLE Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Is Urology (or any other surgical subspecialty) fellowship difficult to get for an IMG even after doing General Surgery Residency in US?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Surgical fellowships after General Surgery

Here's the list of fellowships after finishing your general surgery residency:
  • Plastic Surgery
  • Pediatric Surgery
  • Vascular Surgery
  • Colorectal Surgery
  • Hepatobiliary Oncology
  • Endocrine Surgery
  • Bariatric Surgery
  • Breast Surgery
  • Cardio-Thoracic Surgery
  • Transplant Surgery
  • Minimally Invasive Surgery
You cannot go to urology fellowships after general surgery residency. However you can go to urology residency after finishing your general surgery residency. (that's about 10 years of residency training!)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot

I see.. Few more questions..:)

1) So are the fellowship programs you mentioned difficult to get for IMGs even after finishing General Surgery Residency in U.S.?

2) Could you please provide me with the list of such fellowship programs we can do after IM residency?

3) Same question for IM fellowship programs too - Are they difficult to get for IMGs after finishing IM residency in U.S.?

4) How difficult is to get those fellowship programs(IM/Surgery) for IMGs who have done their Residency in their home countries (other than U.S.)?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Answers

1) So are the fellowship programs you mentioned difficult to get for IMGs even after finishing General Surgery Residency in U.S.?
No, they are not difficult to get. What's difficult is to get into general surgery residency but once you are there, getting these fellowships is a piece of cake.

2) Could you please provide me with the list of such fellowship programs we can do after IM residency?
What I can remember right now are these:
Cardiology, Gastroenterology, Nephrology, Infectious Disease, Endocrine, Geriatrics, Pulmonology/Critical Care, Hematology/Oncology, Rheumatology, ...etc

3) Same question for IM fellowship programs too - Are they difficult to get for IMGs after finishing IM residency in U.S.?
Same answer as for surgery fellowships above

4) How difficult is to get those fellowship programs(IM/Surgery) for IMGs who have done their Residency in their home countries (other than U.S.)?
I refer you to this thread http://www.usmle-forums.com/residency-match-forum/5800-fellowships-without-residency.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts