USMLE Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am a US Citizen who graduated from a foreign medical school (Monterrey, Mexico).
I went the long way since I attended college in Texas (got a Bachelors in Biology) and right after college I did some clinical research. I just graduated a few months ago and I am currently working with a family practice doctor as an MA.
I am getting ready to prepare for the USMLE Step 1. I know it is hard to work and study at the same time but I also know that is not impossible. I will appreciate any advise or tips about USMLE study techniques. Hopefully the chances of landing a residency spot will be better for an IMG/US Citizen but I think the score we get is the one that's gonna make the difference.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Welcome to USMLE Forums!

Welcome to USMLE Forums!

There are several (perhaps hundreds) of study plans for the USMLE Step 1. Each one of us has different needs and different backgrounds and there's no magic plan that fits all of us.

What I advise you is to have a look at the Recommended USMLE Step 1 Threads and particularly the ZumZum method and you take it from there.

Glad to have you here with us and wishing you all the luck.

-

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi!

Hi! Welcome to the forums.

I'm in sort of the same boat as you are, being a U.S. citizen IMG and all. I just moved back to the states and I'm looking for a job as a medical assistant as well. I'm also open to the idea of a job as a laboratory technologist (as I have a BS in Clinical Lab Science) and I was thinking the same thing - it may be difficult to work and study at the same time but it's doable.

Good luck to ya and here's to getting a 290!

(Hey, it's improbable but NOT impossible. )

Greetings from Florida!

P.S. As for study strategies- I'm going with

*Kaplan notes for most subjects (except for Path for which I'll be using Goljan & Robbins QBook)

*Reading (and actually understanding) FA as many times as humanly possible. ( I've read about some people reading that thing cover to cover 7 times over, isn't that crazy?)

*And doing ~12,000 practice questions. (Tell me if that's insane.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Katch22,

Thanks for the advise... I also have First Aid, First Aid Q&A Book and Kaplan books. One book that I just bought (a friend recommended it) is USMLE STEP 1 made ridiculously simple..we'll see how good it is. I have been hitting the books after work...I heard people studying 8 hrs a day.. but that's gonna be impossible for me because of the fact that Im working as an MA.
Good luck in your studies and lets get that 290!

·
Registered
10 Posts
You're very welcome.

I was thinking about getting First Aid Q&A, but I sat down and looked through it one day at Barnes & Noble and right off the bat I noticed some errors. I forgot which concepts and which pages exactly, but after reading it, I put that thing right back on the shelf.

Just giving you a heads up. :)

·
Registered
3,263 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
us citizen/IMG

i am also in the same boat... i m giving my step 1 in december...
here is how i am studying:
Kaplan books + FA +Videos...+ Qbank ( kaplan) + UW... i try to do atleast 50-75 questions a day and average to about 10 hrs/ day

jus out of curiosity.. wats sorts of job in hospital/medical setting as IMG/ without USMLE. I know u are doing MA wat other options are there

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.