USMLE Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to some of the resources that I have contacted (Chicago Clerkships, mediclerkships), Step 1 is NOT required to get the Clerkships but my medical uni administration tells me otherwise.

To clarify, I have done most of the rotations on the Island where the medical school is located since I wanted to get some clinical experience before
I take step 1.

I was pretty excited to find out that Step 1 is not needed to complete legit clerkships and they claim that they work with your university to clear the paper work etc..

When I talked to my school administration however, they said that ECFMG does not accept this route and I might be in trouble when I register for Step exams..

I KNOW that it is better to take Step 1 before doing US clinicals but I just need to know IF it is possible to finish clinicals in U.S and get my degree first..
PLEASE LET ME KNOW I WILL REALLy REALLy appreciate it.

·
Banned
1,106 Posts
the actual reason is when you rotate in ACGME hospital like other students [AMG] you need step 1.

tell your school to get NY/Cali approved

·
Registered
110 Posts
There are like 20 Caribbean schools who have students rotating in clinical cores and electives without taking step1. I personally wouldn't advise it because you need to really know your basic sciences for step 1 and show at least a minimum understanding of medicine to impress in clinicals and network well because the whole point is getting a residency. Im surprised medclerkships does that.. I did a few rotations with them and all of the students I rounded with had step 1 and had great scores.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you!

Do you know anyone who have done ALL rotations in US without Step1 personally as in talked to them?
Or

You heard from someone who knows someone who did this?

I am just tired of people saying 'Oh yea I know someone' but they have actually heard that someone is doing it or done that.

I KNOW and I AGREE that one should take Step 1 before. However I did not ask for an opinion.

I never ever ask anything before properly exhausting google, yahoo,bing, this forum,other medical forums and whatever else is there.

Please if anyone can provide me more solid information I shall greatly appreciate it!

·
Banned
1,106 Posts
I know some people who did what you did, and in the end it did not work out for them.

Why ???

since these places do not rotate their student through ACGME-residency affiliated hospital. GREEN BOOK rotations.

LOR from these rotations are not worth anything, are not credible.

unfortunately the people I know regret their decision till now.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Please read.

as i said there are 20+ Caribbean schools who do rotations without step1.

Since you don't seem to know how to use google and search the web here are some specific examples: Windsor, Xavier, spartan, Uhsa, etc etc

Now don't listen to anyone including me. Call the schools for yourself.

·
Banned
1,106 Posts
Please read.

as i said there are 20+ Caribbean schools who do rotations without step1.

Since you don't seem to know how to use google and search the web here are some specific examples: Windsor, Xavier, spartan, Uhsa, etc etc

Now don't listen to anyone including me. Call the schools for yourself.
I read the first post.

I am stating this is wrong. I even stated why.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have to disagree shima.. The match rate may not be good for those students but some students do get in despite all those hurdles. Recommended? Definitely not!

·
Registered
306 Posts
NY approved means, you can do more than 12 weeks of clinical rotations in NY during medical school and apply to residency for it.

where did you go to school.
So, can i apply to residency for it ??

my school is University of Science and Technology,Yemen

·
Registered
160 Posts
I did this, check it out

According to some of the resources that I have contacted (Chicago Clerkships, mediclerkships), Step 1 is NOT required to get the Clerkships but my medical uni administration tells me otherwise.

To clarify, I have done most of the rotations on the Island where the medical school is located since I wanted to get some clinical experience before
I take step 1.

I was pretty excited to find out that Step 1 is not needed to complete legit clerkships and they claim that they work with your university to clear the paper work etc..

When I talked to my school administration however, they said that ECFMG does not accept this route and I might be in trouble when I register for Step exams..

I KNOW that it is better to take Step 1 before doing US clinicals but I just need to know IF it is possible to finish clinicals in U.S and get my degree first..
PLEASE LET ME KNOW I WILL REALLy REALLy appreciate it.
Hey,

I was in the same boat when I was going through steps.

Check this out

residencysolution.com

I rotated with awesome attendings who allowed me to set my foot into residency programs.

I am currently PGY-II IM resident:rolleyes:

·
Registered
21 Posts
ECFMG has no issue with you doing electives before step 1. It's certain hospitals that have requisites of step 1 before electives.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts