USMLE Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some docs dont prefer ventolin use in COPD but instead use clenil+atem sol........i want to know the reason....tx.

·
Registered
52 Posts
good question , i want to know the explanation too because here doctors use ventolin for nebulization alongwith ipratropium bromide so if theres any controversy i would like to know

·
Registered
590 Posts
some docs dont prefer ventolin use in COPD but instead use clenil+atem sol........i want to know the reason....tx.
I'm pretty sure steps use generic names - so we should be remembering "albuterol" instead of "ventolin", "beclometasone" instead of "clenil", etc. Atem is a good example of one reason why - in the U.S., ipratropium is sold as Atrovent.

As to your question, maybe the Step 2 Forum would have a better idea, since that's more in their bailiwick, but I would assume that using a corticosteroid and muscarinic antagonist instead of a beta 2 blocker would happen in the context of a patient in steep decline? Or refractory to other treatments (I guess I always think of corticosteroids as short-term or refractory :) )?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Here's what you need to know

For you USMLE exam, you need to think short acting beta agonist followed by inhaled corticosteroids followed by long acting beta agonists in a step wise fashion.

The use of antimuscarinics and/or antileukotriens is adjunctive.

Do not get lost in doctor's preferences, just follow the guidelines in USA.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Anticholinergics are mainstay here.

Dulbee said:
The use of antimuscarinics and/or antileukotriens is adjunctive.
Ipratropium is the mainstay drug for treatment of COPD. Usually a short-acting B-blocker is given as well. In severe cases of COPD, long-acting B-blockers and inhaled steroids may be given.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts