USMLE Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

First, let me tell you I've been reading silently here for over a year and this is a really good resource.

I actually wanted to attempt Step 1 this year in August. I'm a med student and already have a good grasp of basic sciences. But seeing both the overwhelming information and the bitter experiences her is kinda scaring me. Is USMLE has really become that tough?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dear Dr No,

This forum is an excellent resource to answer questions but not to gauge your potential performance on the exam, the advice we tell our applicants is to prepare well trust your instincts after intensive study for years you do know if you are prepared for an exam. You have gotten this far continue studying and do your best! This is not intended to be pep talk
:) but to genuinely tell you do not overthink taking the exam itself, but focus on the material.

Good luck!

IMGPrep Team

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
The reality

the bitter experiences here is kinda scaring me. Is USMLE has really become that tough?
It's not the USMLE that has become tough. It's getting into residency that has become tougher than all times.
You need to be fresh graduate, have high scores, have some form of USCE, and be aiming for a specialty that is not very competitive. Otherwise, you won't get into residency and therefore you must weigh your chances before getting into this huge pathway in your life.
If you have the three criteria (fresh, high scores, USCE) then go ahead and do the USMLE. If you are missing any one of them, I urge to reconsider your decision.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi guys.

First, let me tell you I've been reading silently here for over a year and this is a really good resource.

I actually wanted to attempt Step 1 this year in August. I'm a med student and already have a good grasp of basic sciences. But seeing both the overwhelming information and the bitter experiences her is kinda scaring me. Is USMLE has really become that tough?

Thanks.
Attempt to take the exam. you will never know anyother way. Whats tough for some could be easier for you.

Everyone says "doom and gloom", but if you work hard everything will fall your way.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I m an ImG and its bEen 2years since I graduated.I don't have any clinical experience.m planning :scared:To tk step 1 this year.do I have chances to get residency??:scared:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not the USMLE that has become tough. It's getting into residency that has become tougher than all times.
You need to be fresh graduate, have high scores, have some form of USCE, and be aiming for a specialty that is not very competitive. Otherwise, you won't get into residency and therefore you must weigh your chances before getting into this huge pathway in your life.
If you have the three criteria (fresh, high scores, USCE) then go ahead and do the USMLE. If you are missing any one of them, I urge to reconsider your decision.
I think i satisfy these criteria.
I'm graduating in 2012 (still a student), going for an observership next year, and I have good scores. :)
I plan to go for psychiatry. Is that very competitive?

·
Registered
83 Posts
High scores?

Hmm, is high scores from where we are graduate also have an influence on our match??

Hmm, i think it's just the USMLE score, USCE, letter of recommendation etc.isn't it? despite, as long as i read this forum there's no one said it before:eek::eek:

·
Registered
752 Posts
I've learned from attendings working currently in the US that the most important factors are:

1. High USMLE scores (most important; if you get high scores in both Step 1 and 2 CK, you will match).
2. Being a fresh graduate.

USCE, letters of recommendation, research experience,...etc are not that important as people think. They become of importance only when your scores are poor and/or you are an old graduate. Of course, in all cases, they are good bonus. Ironically, if your scores are below a certain limit, you'll be filtered out from the match, and program directors will not even get to look at your USCE and LORs, so they'll be useless. A friend of mine has 99 on Step 1, 80 on Step 2 CK, 1 year USCE, and could not match for years. That 80 was his doom.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've learned from attendings working currently in the US that the most important factors are:

1. High USMLE scores (most important; if you get high scores in both Step 1 and 2 CK, you will match).
2. Being a fresh graduate.

USCE, letters of recommendation, research experience,...etc are not that important as people think.
u make a big mistake...

·
Registered
752 Posts
u make a big mistake...
Below is a link to a thread you have recently posted in, and it's a prime example for the situation. The original poster has below average scores. He's not able to match despite an incredibly stunning CV. In post #4 in that thread, a user tells about a friend who has a 95+ score in Step 1, with almost nothing else on his CV, but got 3 interviews!

http://www.usmle-forums.com/residen...ssed-excellent-credentials-no-interviews.html

I don't mean to put anyone down, but these are just my observations from what I read and hear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Below is a link to a thread you have recently posted in, and it's a prime example for the situation. The original poster has below average scores. He's not able to match despite an incredibly stunning CV. In post #4 in that thread, a user tells about a friend who has a 95+ score in Step 1, with almost nothing else on his CV, but got 3 interviews!

http://www.usmle-forums.com/residen...ssed-excellent-credentials-no-interviews.html

I don't mean to put anyone down, but these are just my observations from what I read and hear.
So u r saying that getting 95 in Step 1 provides you interviews and a score of 92 with so many and important bonuses,not.
No offense,but i'm really curious where your "statistics" come from.
Coz you should take a look at official nrmp statistics,and realize that even research and other things play a decisive role.

So please dont discourage these people with some statitics out of your mind and some "attendings",because thats not the reality!!!!!

·
Registered
752 Posts
So u r saying that getting 95 in Step 1 provides you interviews and a score of 92 with so many and important bonuses,not.
No offense,but i'm really curious where your "statistics" come from.
Coz you should take a look at official nrmp statistics,and realize that even research and other things play a decisive role.

So please dont discourage these people with some statitics out of your mind and some "attendings",because thats not the reality!!!!!
This is a quote from the file you've linked to:

Summary
Some general observations apply to all of the specialties in this report. Applicants who are successful in matching to their preferred specialty are more likely to:
• Rank more programs within their preferred specialty
• Be U.S. seniors
Have higher USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 scores
• Be members of AOA
Obviously, being an AMG is a very strong factor as well. Nothing about USCE or LORs is mentioned in this official summary.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts