USMLE Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there, I am enrolling in my first step as you can see and wanted to know if you could give me advice on books I should use ?? here is my list :
Clinically Oriented Anatomy -Moore
Atlas of Human Anatomy - Netter
Physiology - Costanzo
Histology: A Text and Atlas - Ross and Pawlina
Biochemistry - Lippincott's review
Essential Neuroscience - Siegel and Sapru
Genetics - Thompson
The Developing Human - Moore
Pathologic Basis of Disease - Robbins
Pharmacology - Lange
Immunobiology - Janeway
Lippincott's Review of Microbiology Happy-2

well those be enough for the fist step ?:eek:

·
Registered
29 Posts
It seems you are still a student right? 2nd year or less?

The books you mentioned are 'textbooks' which contain information much more than needed for Step 1 which is not presented in a way to maximize score.

True you can never learn too much of anything, but, this way you would ignore a lot of high yield information that is much likely to be tested than the rest.

Besides, new information comes up every day making the textbooks obsolete except for to lay the foundation of knowledge. So, even if you somehow manage to learn everything in these books, there would still be information you wouldn't know and that could end up on the test(PS: If you could, a lot of people would have heard of you like on papers/news etc).

I would suggest going through the list of 'Recommended Step 1 Threads' on the forum and go through the polls and you would have some ideas as to what you want to use. This depends on your circumstances. Like, what year you are in or graduate, how much prep time your have, what resource you used previously etc.

The 2 classical scenarios are that of a 2nd year US med student and an IMG.

1) A typical US med student would have around 6 weeks dedicated prep time during which they would usually do First Aid(FA) and Uworld only. Some might add pathoma or kaplan/USMLErx qbank as well, and they books they used through their classes as needed. Usually they would be easing into the prep during their 2nd year giving some time to review books, FA and qbanks, whereas in the last 6 dedicated weeks they'd move to FA and UWorld only and NBME self assessment exams.

2) A typical IMG would give around 6-9 months after their graduation. Usually starting with some review books (as you would see in the recommended threads polls), or a course like Kaplan, usually replacing pathology with Pathoma or Goljan. Then they would move to FA and and do Qbanks. UWorld is almost always considered a must and others may or may not be used.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems you are still a student right? 2nd year or less?

The books you mentioned are 'textbooks' which contain information much more than needed for Step 1 which is not presented in a way to maximize score.

True you can never learn too much of anything, but, this way you would ignore a lot of high yield information that is much likely to be tested than the rest.

Besides, new information comes up every day making the textbooks obsolete except for to lay the foundation of knowledge. So, even if you somehow manage to learn everything in these books, there would still be information you wouldn't know and that could end up on the test(PS: If you could, a lot of people would have heard of you like on papers/news etc).

I would suggest going through the list of 'Recommended Step 1 Threads' on the forum and go through the polls and you would have some ideas as to what you want to use. This depends on your circumstances. Like, what year you are in or graduate, how much prep time your have, what resource you used previously etc.

The 2 classical scenarios are that of a 2nd year US med student and an IMG.

1) A typical US med student would have around 6 weeks dedicated prep time during which they would usually do First Aid(FA) and Uworld only. Some might add pathoma or kaplan/USMLErx qbank as well, and they books they used through their classes as needed. Usually they would be easing into the prep during their 2nd year giving some time to review books, FA and qbanks, whereas in the last 6 dedicated weeks they'd move to FA and UWorld only and NBME self assessment exams.

2) A typical IMG would give around 6-9 months after their graduation. Usually starting with some review books (as you would see in the recommended threads polls), or a course like Kaplan, usually replacing pathology with Pathoma or Goljan. Then they would move to FA and and do Qbanks. UWorld is almost always considered a must and others may or may not be used.
THANK YOU very much for your answer. and yea i am in my 2nd year .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts