USMLE Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow docs!

A question: UW states that citrate is NOT protective against calcium renal stones. Is this true?

·
Registered
145 Posts
hypocitraturia

Hi fellow docs!

A question: UW states that citrate is NOT protective against calcium renal stones. Is this true?
i also read about that Q ....??
that states that Oral citrate has not been proven to benefit patients with calcium stones, not even in patients with idiopathic hypocitraturia.

(isnot citrate bind with the GIT absorbed ca -->limiting its excess absorption... as i understand it does decrease but i was faced by that comment in Q).....??

Reactions: tkourkou

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did a small research in pubmed and here's what I found

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20399488

It clearly states very high remission rate of stone disease when you supplement with potassium citrate. I was like WTH!?

Probably UW is wrong in this question, there is no other explanation...

Can somebody else as well confirm what we suggest?

·
Registered
145 Posts
another confirmation

I did a small research in pubmed and here's what I found

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20399488

It clearly states very high remission rate of stone disease when you supplement with potassium citrate. I was like WTH!?

Probably UW is wrong in this question, there is no other explanation...

Can somebody else as well confirm what we suggest?
Here is another confirmation

http://bloghealth.web.id/2011/03/how-to-dissolve-pass-calcium-citrate-kidney-stones.html
refering 2 this paragraph...

Calcium citrate kidney stones or calcium stones can be treated & cured by using home remedies. You should keep drinking fluids. Carrot, grape and orange juice contain high levels of citrates. Citrates reduce the build up of uric acid and help eliminate formation of calcium salts both of which may lead to formation of kidney stones.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Somewhere in the middle!

Hey guys, i know how such subjects can get complicated such as this one but i would personally break it down to two points. One physiologically speaking, potassium citrate increases urine PH and that per say would help in cases of both Urate & Calcium stones. Two biostatisticlly speaking, there could have been studies that showed no difference between using potassium citrate and placebo & UW would be referring to such proven data and from experience we know that some logically used drugs don't help from unkown reasons sometimes. OR UW could be just plainly WRONG. :eek:

In the end, remember the physiologic evidence when you answer Qs on tests and worry about the existence of supporting evidence (whether for or against) when you actually prescribe that to a patient in ttt of nephrolithiasis :cool:

Hope that helped ;)

Reactions: cerebrum85

·
Registered
145 Posts
thx but...........!!??

Hey guys, i know how such subjects can get complicated such as this one but i would personally break it down to two points. One physiologically speaking, potassium citrate increases urine PH and that per say would help in cases of both Urate & Calcium stones. Two biostatisticlly speaking, there could have been studies that showed no difference between using potassium citrate and placebo & UW would be referring to such proven data and from experience we know that some logically used drugs don't help from unkown reasons sometimes. OR UW could be just plainly WRONG. :eek:

In the end, remember the physiologic evidence when you answer Qs on tests and worry about the existence of supporting evidence (whether for or against) when you actually prescribe that to a patient in ttt of nephrolithiasis :cool:Hope that helped ;)
ur hit the point ......thx
1.so i understand the matter
here..... we can rely on the studies made as shared in our links we copied above in that it does decrease incidence of stones......from ur cK experience isnot that will be true...............???!:confused:

2.But in other situations where EBM data wouldnot be available ......in our minds surely cause it is impossible 2 do that .... here we may say 4 ex. ......is it a sort of testing Q i.e testing the Q itself ..would it be appropriate or not...in future exams...??!:confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts