USMLE Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have recently started online uworld system wise.
i start by reading fa and kaplan notes rapidly for a section lets say anatomy, then do the questions from uw.
this is taking lots of time. is there any way to do it faster?
also my uw average is around 40-50% how bad is this
and how do you guys write such extensive notes.
please help me. very worried as its taking lots of time and i dont know if im doing it right.
i read all subjects once from lecture notes and videos but not able to retain.
very depressed right now please help:

·
Registered
63 Posts
i have recently started online uworld system wise.
i start by reading fa and kaplan notes rapidly for a section lets say anatomy, then do the questions from uw.
this is taking lots of time. is there any way to do it faster?
also my uw average is around 40-50% how bad is this
and how do you guys write such extensive notes.
please help me. very worried as its taking lots of time and i dont know if im doing it right.
i read all subjects once from lecture notes and videos but not able to retain.
very depressed right now please help:
Hey there!
First of all I ve got to say that I disagree with your method of doing UWorld. For me the best way to study uworld is near the end of your prep in timed, random mode. Anyways that's up to you on how you want to study your material.
Now fas far as your question is concerned
1.your UW percentage can not be interpreted b/c first we dont know at which point of your prep you are right now (if you plan to give step 1 in about 2 weeks thats a bad score, if you plan to give step 1 in a year thats sure that you will get much much better). Secondly we cannot interprete your UW score b/c you are not doing blocks in random mode (+you dont tell whether you are doing them timed)
2.About notes, you obviously should take notes of UW and look at ALL questions (both right and false. I can see you are doing that already and that's very good). In order to save time you should take notes of concepts that you dont know. If you start writing down the whole question's explanation you will consume too much time which will hold you back. If you get a concept that you already know but you find another esier way to remember or a better explanation don't write it down as a new info but rather go to your notes/basic book and correct what you already have there! &keep in mind that if you are doing UW and you are at an early point of your prep it's ok to take you a lot of time to take notes of what you see in UW bc you hve not seen too many concepts yet.You will get faster by time.

Please if you want give us any info missing and I will be glad to help you :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there!
First of all I ve got to say that I disagree with your method of doing UWorld. For me the best way to study uworld is near the end of your prep in timed, random mode. Anyways that's up to you on how you want to study your material.
Now fas far as your question is concerned
1.your UW percentage can not be interpreted b/c first we dont know at which point of your prep you are right now (if you plan to give step 1 in about 2 weeks thats a bad score, if you plan to give step 1 in a year thats sure that you will get much much better). Secondly we cannot interprete your UW score b/c you are not doing blocks in random mode (+you dont tell whether you are doing them timed)
2.About notes, you obviously should take notes of UW and look at ALL questions (both right and false. I can see you are doing that already and that's very good). In order to save time you should take notes of concepts that you dont know. If you start writing down the whole question's explanation you will consume too much time which will hold you back. If you get a concept that you already know but you find another esier way to remember or a better explanation don't write it down as a new info but rather go to your notes/basic book and correct what you already have there! &keep in mind that if you are doing UW and you are at an early point of your prep it's ok to take you a lot of time to take notes of what you see in UW bc you hve not seen too many concepts yet.You will get faster by time.

Please if you want give us any info missing and I will be glad to help you :)
hey thanks for the advice. im new to uworld, and im doing blocks systemwise and timed. have spent two months on kaplan lecture notes.
im planning to do the second round of uw as random blocks.
Also, is it necessary to review fa and important stuff from kaplan before doing the block in uworld? or do I directly start off my day with doing questions

·
Registered
63 Posts
hey thanks for the advice. im new to uworld, and im doing blocks systemwise and timed. have spent two months on kaplan lecture notes.
im planning to do the second round of uw as random blocks.
Also, is it necessary to review fa and important stuff from kaplan before doing the block in uworld? or do I directly start off my day with doing questions
So you have done the first pass through your stuff (2 months doing Kaplan).
Ok before going on I like to know why we are doing what we are doing. From what you are saying I understand that what you are trying to do now is to review your material and then doing questions in order to consolidate and apply your knowledge, am I right?
In my case I did that same thing by doing another (not UWorld) qbank..
I can now understand your problem of taking so much time doing UWorld.
Look ,as I wrote, what you are trying to do right now with your qbank is to consolidate the knowledge you just gained. By doing UWorld you also see a lot of new facts so you dont know how to handle this situation, you have the new facts you want to write down PLUS the review of your knowledge you need to do, thats the reason it takes you so long.
Here is what I would suggest:You need to FOCUS on what you are trying to achieve right now. I think that the ideal solution would be to purchase another qbank and keep your method of revising systems and doing questions after that. But I understand that you may not want to purchase another qbank, that's ok..BUT you have to focus on your goal right now. Focus on revision and consolidation of the basic facts you have learned the past 2 months. Make them stick to your mind and create a solid basic knowledge! You should focus on the new facts of UWorld during your second pass where you will be comfortable with the basics. Dont get distracted during the first pass.

ps.Dont get me wrong. You should read the explanations of every single question you get but if you come along with a difficult-unknown concept dont lose time trying to add it to your notes, search explanations, etc. Thats's a job you MUST do during your second UWorld pass.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i am doing u world in timed and tutor mode....i am getting around 65%. i am almost 3 month left for my exam and 40% uworld left....am i doing it correct... is it good?

·
Registered
63 Posts
i am doing u world in timed and tutor mode....i am getting around 65%. i am almost 3 month left for my exam and 40% uworld left....am i doing it correct... is it good?
As long as score is concerned yes you re good. But be aware of how you study uworld (read and take notes of every unknown/weird/complex concept you see).If you re doing it right you should see your score going up. Dont hurry to finish uworld..rather try to learn as much as you can.Uworld is a great learning tool.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As long as score is concerned yes you re good. But be aware of how you study uworld (read and take notes of every unknown/weird/complex concept you see).If you re doing it right you should see your score going up. Dont hurry to finish uworld..rather try to learn as much as you can.Uworld is a great learning tool.
thanks for the help ...i would like to ask whether i should give a nbme now ?? i have 4 months left for my exam. what should be my approach in this 4 months after completing uworld

·
Registered
63 Posts
thanks for the help ...i would like to ask whether i should give a nbme now ?? i have 4 months left for my exam. what should be my approach in this 4 months after completing uworld
I took my first NBME 4months prior to my exam, so I think that yes its a good time to take your first-diagnostic NBME.
You are going to finish uworld too early and I dont agree with that method of preparation but you started your prep now and you cant go back so what I would suggest for the next nonths is the following:
Try to finish uworld in ~20 days (but do it appropriately-notes, explanations etc)
Then there are 3 months left.
1 month review your material (FA & what else you ve got)
1 month (or less) do uworld again
Last month: cycles of reviewing your material & doing practice exams (in order to remain familiar with questions)
Thats approximately what I would do if I were at your position.

p.s. I dont know your background, how is your prep by now, your stuff, etc..I just answered to a scenario I was given. So I would suggest to take a look at what I wrote and adapt it to your program in order to improve it or even reject my suggestions bc you totaly disagree 😝

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you have done the first pass through your stuff (2 months doing Kaplan).
Ok before going on I like to know why we are doing what we are doing. From what you are saying I understand that what you are trying to do now is to review your material and then doing questions in order to consolidate and apply your knowledge, am I right?
In my case I did that same thing by doing another (not UWorld) qbank..
I can now understand your problem of taking so much time doing UWorld.
Look ,as I wrote, what you are trying to do right now with your qbank is to consolidate the knowledge you just gained. By doing UWorld you also see a lot of new facts so you dont know how to handle this situation, you have the new facts you want to write down PLUS the review of your knowledge you need to do, thats the reason it takes you so long.
Here is what I would suggest:You need to FOCUS on what you are trying to achieve right now. I think that the ideal solution would be to purchase another qbank and keep your method of revising systems and doing questions after that. But I understand that you may not want to purchase another qbank, that's ok..BUT you have to focus on your goal right now. Focus on revision and consolidation of the basic facts you have learned the past 2 months. Make them stick to your mind and create a solid basic knowledge! You should focus on the new facts of UWorld during your second pass where you will be comfortable with the basics. Dont get distracted during the first pass.

ps.Dont get me wrong. You should read the explanations of every single question you get but if you come along with a difficult-unknown concept dont lose time trying to add it to your notes, search explanations, etc. Thats's a job you MUST do during your second UWorld pass.
hey... sorry for the delayed reply...
yes thats why its been taking me a lot of time, reading your answer has cleared it up for me... thank you for that..
my initial 2-3 months were spent with reading kaplan with videos, but did not annotate fa
this is why im revising both the kaplan notes and fa of one system and then doing the questions, writing uw notes... goes on forever

im planning to give my exam by july-august. can you please advise me on how to plan my months ahead... any suggestions would be very helpful....

·
Registered
63 Posts
hey... sorry for the delayed reply...
yes thats why its been taking me a lot of time, reading your answer has cleared it up for me... thank you for that..
my initial 2-3 months were spent with reading kaplan with videos, but did not annotate fa
this is why im revising both the kaplan notes and fa of one system and then doing the questions, writing uw notes... goes on forever

im planning to give my exam by july-august. can you please advise me on how to plan my months ahead... any suggestions would be very helpful....
Hi!
Yes of course I can guide you on how to plan your prep for the next few months and I would be glad to do so :)
Please send me a private message providing me info about your prep until now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts