USMLE Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 36 yr old woman comes to the physician because of large "lumpy" surface veins in her legs. she works as a retail clerk and stands all day. Her Heart rate is 86/min and blood pressure is 125/88 mmhg. she is 5 feet inches tall and weighs 175lb (79.5kg). As a part pf her weight-loss program, she has been jogging 2miles each day for the past 2 months . Which of the following is most likely to worsen this patient's varicose veins?
a) Chronically high venous pressure in the Legs
b) Excessive jogging on a hard surface
c) hypertension
d) obesity
e) Tachycardia

·
Registered
377 Posts
I will go with A) Chronically standing for long time...Blood will pool in the veins of lower extremities and worsen the varicose veins.

:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Varicose Vein
dilated superficial veins due to chronically increased venous pressure
MC due to increased venous pressure > obesity

may exhibit signs of skin ulcers around the torturous path of superficial vein

·
Registered
826 Posts
For her height she is too heavily overweight-BMI approximately 35 so im gonna choose obesity

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the ans..

Sorry for the late Response.
This question is from kaplan... i don't have time to post the whole s**t from the explanation so i'll just leave the important points. The Ans is choice A

The only common significant contributing factor to varicose vein formation is chronically high venous pressure in the legs Typical to prolonged standing.
Only very SEVERE Obesity choice D might be expected to compress the veins in the abdomen sufficiently to increase venous pressure in the legs.

·
Registered
864 Posts
a) Chronically high venous pressure in the Legs

Long standing jobs.
:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts