USMLE Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I decided to share my Step 1 experience too. Hope it would be helpful for someone, especially for very very old IMG like myself.
I got 224. I was reading this blog often trying to find answers on different questions and get inspired of anyone's luck and hoping to share the story of my success too.
A few words about myself. IMG 2002, then residency in Cardiology, then PhD studies and finally the head of the Cardiology department with intensive care unit. I had to resign shortly before my son was born. He is 2 now.

I started studying biochemistry in August, then I had a large gap while moving to the US and finding daycare for my son. My husband (he is an interventional cardiologist) had to stay in Moscow to continue working and supporting us.
My son started daycare from 8 am to 3pm in early November and started to get sick all the time. So December was not a month of studies again. In January we found a nanny from 9 am to 6 pm and my studies intensified. I studied from 9 am to 6 pm every day 5 days a week, and from 9 p.m. to 2 am 7 days a week when Danny was asleep. In early March I had 10 days of vacation ;) due to presentation at one of the conferences. I had to prepare some time for it though. My exam was May 27th, it seemed extremely tough for me and very tiresome. I was sure that I failed and I am more than happy with the result.
My study sources were:
First Aid - though it doesn't contain all the necessary material, so it's definitely not enough.
Kaplan lectures- listened to majority of them, though they take much time! Biochemistry (Sam Turko and Raymond) is great and necessary to listen to, Micro (lady lectures great, but it takes to much time), behavioral science and epidemiology is a must. Pathology is not great (I didn't have Lectures by Barone, though).
Kaplan Lecture Notes - generally good, but Pathology is worse than Golyan and Immunology is so boring that I couldn't read it.
I also used Pathoma lectures, they are many times better than Kaplan, the material is concise. My nbme scores raised significantly after I listened to oncology, inflammation and some other general lectures. I had several questions During my exam which I knew because of Pathoma. I wish I found out about Pathoma earlier, because I listened to it during my last preparation month.
One more book I think is good. It is Physiology BMS, it is concise, but more logical and easier to read than Kaplan. I wish I knew about it earlier too... I read only gastro -, respiratory- and renal physiology from it due to lack of time.
Picmonic- I used it sometimes when I was too tired to read or to do questions. It's pretty good for micro and inherited diseases.
Qbanks:
I did Kaplan after each study section, used it timed. Then I did Uworld. After I completed all the material my Uworld average was 57%. I reread First Aid, did wrong and marked questions and switched to USMLERx. I did only hard and medium questions, the bank is good, but the program is awful. I was hating it during the weeks I used it. It took around 3 weeks to complete, I was reading First Aid, doing Pathoma, listening to Biochem again during that time.
1month before the exam I did uworld second time and got 72% average.
I did 2 nbme, the last one two weeks before the exam (220), but nbme wastes too much time when searching for correct answers, so I decided not to retake it.

Wish you all good luck! Step 1 is doable!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, guys!

I remember that I had 5 questions about urinary incontinence and found the answers only in Golyan. I had one question about some antineoplastic drug and it's metabolism via p450. I had two questions about mallassezia furfur and a question about a newlywed lady, who had no orgasm ;) (no joking) there was a lot of questions from behavioral science, which were very tough. And behavioral appeared to have the lowest score in my score transcript. My score would have been much higher if not for behavioral science. I didn't have any questions from statistics or formulas in renal diseases.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I received a private message about exam phobia and decided to answer here.

I think that for me sample Prometric exam was invaluable. I didn't know that they had this weird system with repeated fingerprints, checking pockets and socks each time you go for a break. It was very unusual. It was good that I was prepared for that at the day of the test. I also skipped the tutorial at the test date as I've listened to it during the sample test. It added me 15 more minutes for the breaks and I used all of them. The whole weird system of getting in and out of the classroom takes time and my this extra time was useful.

I did 2 first blocks without a break, though I am not sure it was right. Then I had 5 min, then 10 min, again 5 min, again 10 min and etc

I took tasty juices and banana and chocolates to eat during the breaks. I was also texting my husband during the breaks and he was texting me back from Moscow, though it was night there :)

The exam was very tiresome, I wished it to be over ASAP and had several awful days afterwards thinking that I failed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
Does anybody have experience with ask doc usmle step 1 prep course? I'm an old img and I was doing some research about studying material and this came across... I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
thank you!

thank you so much for inspiring ...i have just started reading for my step 1 , and being a new mom in a different city without any friends to meet and discuss...and ofcourse the fact that i am an old grad img (turns out that we had not been taught 90 percent of medicine in such a vast manner)!!!! i am looking to make a good life for my son and my family ... pls send me some tips and pls inspire me more...:) thank you!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts